1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X1950GT Voltage Modding

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ChivalricKnight, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ChivalricKnight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    I have a sapphire x1950gt. I can overclock her to 600/1400 easily. But i am not able to push it more... It becomes to give artifacts.
    I think it is because of lack of voltages. So, is there anyway to give more voltage with ati tool or another software like we were able to do it in x1900 series?
    Regards,
    ChivaricKnight.

2. TonyStark

TonyStark New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not with ATI Tool, no. The only way is a hard mod, which I don't recommend unless you know exactly what you're doing. There were a few pencil mods posted in the 1950PRO modded BIOS thread.

BTW, that is a very good overclock -- 20% GPU 16% RAM. You have turned your GT into a PRO. Well done.

3. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Before trying the vmods in my modded bios thread, try flashing your card to a Pro bios as it can handle the clocks.

4. ChivalricKnight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    First of all, thanks for the answers.
    Yes, in fact, i know my overclock is good. But, we, human, always want more and more:) I dont think to try pencil mods, as it can be dangerous and can make my vga out of gurantee.
    It seems i will go with my overclocking, i should learn to be happy with her:D
    Regards,
    ChivalricKnight.

5. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Remember that you can easily remove a pencil mod, all you need is a cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol. But you do need aftermarket cooling and some sort of heatsink on the vregs if you want to be safe.

6. TonyStark

TonyStark New Member

Thanks Received:
    wise man :toast:

7. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Or, do it the much easier and tidier way, just use a rubber :p

8. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could, but those resistors have sharp points, you might not get absolutely all of it.

OK, I'm just jealous that I didn't think of that. :p

9. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    1400mhz memory? i'm jealous. mine will only do 1300...661 core though hah :)

10. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Um thing is, just do bios Vmods...

11. ChivalricKnight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,
    Ok, thanks again for suggestions and comments.
    I will go with my overclocking results: 600/1400.
    I dont know enough about pencil mods etc... Bios modification does not allow voltage changes at X1950GT. Also 1950PRO's have only chance of increasing Vgpu by bios modding. Not Vmem...
    Best regards,
    ChivalricKnight.

12. ATijbaroli New Member

Thanks Received:
    do u think soft volt modding will be available? I was pretty comfortable volt modding mi X1800GTO via software :D

13. TonyStark

TonyStark New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the voltage regulators can be controlled via software, then somebody could write a program to do it ...

14. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My X1800GTO went all the way up to 1.5V when it was under my Accelero X2, no problems, wouldn't overclock more, and would just produce more heat though. Impressive for something with only 5 vregs, rather than 6. Most people reported problems adjusting voltages with only 5 vregs. I had no such troubles.
    Shame then that my new X1950GT is slightly slower in some apps, because of its unwillingness to overclock higher! Runs at 648/796 at its highest (well, can go ever so slightly higher, but will then initiate GPU Recovery and go back to 500/600). Shame that ATITool can't change voltages :(
    Still, beats my X1800GTO (well, when it was running clocks of 600/600, which was most of the time) and beats a stock 256MB Pro...

Still, if anyone knows about changing voltages on it, post here! Especially because this thread is the first result when searching Google for "x1950gt voltage"