1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X58 Motherboard PCI/PCI-E Layouts

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Kantastic, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
    GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
    EVGA E758-TR

The PCI-E/PCI layouts on these boards are completely different. Which would be the most ideal for a dual card crossfire/SLI setup? The UD4P, from what I can tell, will have no PCI slots left after doing crossfire because of the way it's setup. The ASUS blocks the 3rd PCI-E slot when running cards with dual slot coolers.
    I personally feel the that the EVGA board has the best layout because it doesn't sacrifice 2 PCI slots or a PCI-E slot when doing 2-way crossfire/SLI. (Just in case people ever need a PCI device or 3-way crossfire/SLI.)
    What are your thoughts?
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    For the same price as the Asus, I like this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128362 Same layout as the UD4.

But I am preferential to having more PCIe slots available, and would rather sacrifice PCI slots if a choice has to be made.

Also, if you are using single slot cards, it and the ud4 offers the most expansion slots out of all the choices with 7.
  3. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    No, both of those only give the same number of expansion slots as the GB baords. Just because the slots are Physically 16x, doesn't mean they are electrically. They still have the same number of PCIe lanes available. The ASRock board just offers 3 PCI vs 2PCI on the GB boards. The Gigabyte boards offer an additional PCIe 1x slot instead of the 3rd PCI.

And sorry to say, but the quality of the ASRock board pale in comparison to the other boards listed in this thread (not that they're horrible or anything). The other boards are from top tier manufacturers. ASRock is not a top-tier, but mid-tier.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  5. denice25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    pretty nice link!!!
  6. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    Oh okay I see what you were saying I thought you were talking about just the PCI E x16 slots my bad man :eek: