1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800: fan really loud, anything wrong?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by cheerful, Jan 26, 2006.

1. cheerful New Member

Thanks Received:
    My just got a X800 from Dell, PCI-E, 128MB. The fan seems to be really loud, even when I am not doing anything.

ATITool is showing core at 39 and fan running at 54%.

Is this normal? Or do I have a defective card or just the fan?

Thanks!

2. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    bleh dont buy from dell, grab it up at newegg or something next time, smaller retailers have better deals for better stuff... how much did you pay for it? 128mb isnt going to get you much in the future... 256 should be a minimum...

depends on the stock fan, most of the time, the stock fans suck, i changed mine with a vf-700, getting 34c with a 1.65v core voltage, 54c max temp :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  3. Kryten

Kryten New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think the fan designs on most of the X800 series make some noise. like my g/f's X800 AIW stock cooler gets annoyingly loud when it goes above 60%... go and get an Arctic Cooler ATi Silencer 5 rev.2 even at full speed you can barely hear it.. plus it works MUCH better than the stock cooler.

4. cheerful New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is safe temperature if I want to lower the idle fan speed?

Thanks!

5. Kryten

Kryten New Member

Thanks Received:
    id say try to keep it under 55C to 60C under full load. ATiTool's dynamic fan control is very adjustable, so I'd try making adjustments to the fan speeds and temps with the 3d window open for a more acurate temp & fan setting.

6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if u want it quiet at idle set the fan to come high about at least 10 to 15 c above idle temp and as low as it will go at 5 to 8 c above idle.. it dosnt matter in the slightest if your gpu or cpu runs a little hotter at idle.. its cooking at full load that causes the problems..

its lack of noise that matters at idle not how cool u can get your cpu/gpu.. your gpu fan needs to speed up with the furry dice running and slow right down when its not..

trog

7. cheerful New Member

Thanks Received:
    How is temperature-speed fan control table in ATITool? Can I just change the first 2 entries and leave the rest alone?

Thanks!

8. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think u can.. here is how i have mine thow.. it is set up for the cooler running (and quieter) artic silencer.. with the stock cooler things will run say 10c hotter.. max and min fans speed will have to allow for this.. praps up the 45 to 55 and the 55 to 65.. u have to kinda fiddle about a bit to get it right.. its easy enough useing that furry dice thing..

[​IMG]

trog

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  9. cheerful New Member

Thanks Received:
    I figure the last free entries are unnecessary since it is already at 100% so I put in

0 20%
    45 39%
    50 54%

it settles at 43-44C when idling and it is a lot quieter.

Apparently, 0% would work as well but temperature rise quickly so I did not let it go long before went back to 20%

Thanks!

10. BSB_GRAVES New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine makes wind noise too.I
    Is a fan blade is rubbing? It will make a loud "Braaaaaa" if it is. 1) turn off power, unplug the system. If you have latex gloves, nows a good time to use them. Ground yourself by touching the case. Remove card, remove fan/heatsink assembly, use a hobby knife to scrape the edges of the fan. If you take off to much it will become unbalanced, and shorten life. 2)While its off, check and see if its touching anywhere. Blow dust off. ground yourself, re-install.

If that don't work buy one of these:

http://www.xoxide.com/vgacoolers.html

http://www.crazypc.com/products/cooling/cooling.htm#cardcoolers

http://www.voyeurmods.com/index.php?action=category&id=16&subid=191

11. cheerful New Member

Thanks Received:
    I noticed a weird problem. The fan will follow the setting in ATITool. However, when it wakes up from standby, the fan will become really loud, seems to match the noise level at full speed. Once I start ATITool, the noice went away immediately. Reading will show temperature at <35C.

Do I need to keep ATITool running all the time? Or did I miss some setting?

Thanks!

12. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes u do i think.. at least i do.. its all done from within windows as atitool loads it sets certain things..

set it to run at windows start up.. there is a litle tick box lurking somewhere..

trog