1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800 XL Noise

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Jaihun, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Jaihun New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,

I bought a Gigabyte X800 XL AGP hoping that it would be the new Silentpipe model with passive cooling (trying to build a very silent pc) - but I got a -B model, which had a very noisy active cooling running all the time at 100%. I'm trying to return the card but the shop is giving me a hard time since they are saying that Gigabyte doesn't even sell this card with Silentpipe (http://www.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-R80L256V.htm > see manual). On the other hand, Gigabyte doesn't even have the actively cooled -B model on their website, nor do they have a new bios for it. :mad:

Anyway, I'm looking now at different options to make the card more silent. Would you recommend to flash it with a different bios (which maybe is temperature controlled) or would you just use Atitool for slowing the fan. Or would it be just better to buy an Arctic Cooler to make it more silent?

Then another short question, which I always wanted to know - I never succeeded softmodding my old 9800SE AIW (ATI VPU recovery always kicked in after Windows loaded), would it have made any difference if I had a better cooling on the card?
  2. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Well if you can control the fan speeds with Atitool, assuming that the cooler is controlable, use Atitool. I don't think a bios flash will help. If you decide to switch to a AC, it will be very quite.

As for the 9800, did it do it straight after windows loaded, or when you played a game?

-Dan
  3. Jaihun New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well that's exactly my fear - that the card isn't controlable... I only tried the card once and was shocked by the noise that it made (trying to keep the card looking like knew if I still can return it). Anyway, I didn't know that Atitool had fan controls, instead I tried Rivatuner and it looked like I couldn't control the fan at all.

I just can't believe that Gigabyte would make this kind of 'semi-finished' cards, to which they don't even offer support (called them again, they don't even have this model in their system). They probably just made only few of these cards with active cooling, preparing for the Silentpipe, and then sold them dirt cheap for dealers, which then sell them to suckers like me... :)

PS. The VPU recover with the softmodded 9800 SE kicked in straight after windows loaded.
  4. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    strange... saw an asus x800 the other day unlisted and asus has no record of the model either... :confused: very strange.. that was a 128bit x800 though... which was freaky :eek:
  5. Quazi New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you can't control the noise via controlling the fan speed, and since you already mentioned and after market cooler, if silent is what you want, then the Zalman ZM80D is the cooler to consider. It is a double heatpiped cooler and should cool your card as well as the factory HS. It does however come with a fan, ZM-OP1, that is an optional purchse that works off of either a 5v or 12v connection, the latter being the loudest. I have used this cooler extensively with the fan, and was pleasantly surprised that even with the fam at its' loudest, it was still quieter. It dropped my idle speeds from 44C to 36C and load temps from 72C to 58C. I have used it on several cards. Excellent cooler no doubt.
  6. Weigy104 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeh i agree with quazi if your tryin to build a totally silent PC then ZALMAN is definately the way forward for you and although i think the Artic Cooler Silencer is a better cooler than the zalman one the zalman has the advantage of being soundless, if you don't use the fan of course ;)
  7. Mr Blonde. New Member

Thanks Received:
    Jaihun, u couldt do me a favor of posting ur 3Dmark results could u. 03 n 05 . please am thinking of gettin that card

cheers

dave