1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800GTO Sudden Artifact Problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by error_f0rce, Jan 7, 2007.

1. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,
    My Sapphire X800 GTO has been working great for the past 8 months or so, and was working great this morning. But this evening when it booted up I get this:
    [​IMG]
    Here's what I've tried so far:
    -Reconnecting cables, removing/reinstalling graphics card, check temps (normal), check o/c (off).

I've done a few mods (see specs), but nothing in the last 6 months, so what gives? ...any ideas?

:ohwell: (Getting sinking feeling this baby is about to bite the big one...)

Attached Files:

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I think that it's time to kiss your beautiful graphics card goodbye. A gigantic uber-heatsink might fix your problems, but really what's the point? Spend $30 to delay $200 later? Just spend $200 now and be happy, in my opinion :).
  3. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Flee for the hills shes gonna blow.... sorry me thinks that card be on its last legs
  4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Ah, ye talk like a true sailor, me hearty :roll:.
  5. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :screams: ARRRRRRGGGG..... :burns effigy of SAPPHIRE logo: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Yeah, she's got the Zalman VF-900, which has been good to me.... at least I can salvage that :eek:
  6. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, just reflashed to the default bios, reverting to the 12 actives pipelines.... no help there.

$&#$&*(&%$)%*$(*%($()*)@$ :mad:
  7. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, also tried reinstalling updated drivers/software from ATi and nothing.....

Any suggestions for a new AGP 8x card around $200??? :(
  8. ATIonion New Member

Thanks Received:
    you sound intellegent...so this maybe worthless...but have you done a "hard cleaning" to the card......about every 6 months i have to go beyond the basic dusting and remove my card and clean it from head to toe....

dust settles in those hard to reach places...then when humidity hits that dust absorbs the moisture and becomes more conductive....idk about your location, but around here we have had rain for what seems like a full week...and just yesterday i had the same issue with my card and had to do the major cleaning....

of course when i do this cleaning i go ahead and clean the whole rig....

hope your card isn't on its way man..good luck...

oh btw....i think the x1950agp is around $200 or so, but its hard to find...
  9. xylomn

xylomn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a quick look on newegg, I aint from the us so i don't know where you all shop online but the cheapest x1950 agp they had was $249...

If you can get a x1950 for $200 though that will be a good deal, not bad card at all.

The same card is £152.74...ish over here which is about $294.87, damn you and your good prices lol
  10. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    X1950PRO AGP :rockout:
    Its a good card, not a cut down high Range AGP Like the 7800GS was. Buy from OEM.
    By the way, problem is, you can't use the VF-700 CU D:... Get it from powercolor = save costs on any aftermarket cooling.

Abandon Ship the captain screams! (zekrahminator)
  11. Kammster New Member

Thanks Received:
    try underclocking the memory to 400 or 350 mhz.

my sapphire x800 gto is unstable under heavy stress above 450mhz or i its just my bad luck
  12. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, tried it, but it didn't help.

Good call. So I just got done dusting it, cleaning the contacts, heatsink, etc.... still no luck. Was definitely worth a try though.... man, I was really hoping this card would last until I saved the money for the big leap to Conroe & PCI-e.... BAH!

SAPPHIRE->:nutkick:<-error_f0rce

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Let me know if you think of anything else.
    :)cry: now scared to use computer at all because these #$^#&*@!% artifacts are going to burn into my LCD :eek:)
  13. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Latest pic, notice 3 sections on fuzzy dice:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. UnexplodedCow

UnexplodedCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that card's had it. I had a geforce4 ti4200 that did that on the screen, and it eventually corrupted my board's bios.
  15. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just out of curiosity how high was your overclocks on the card and was it set to run at high speed always or only when you started a game? How long have you had the card? I ask cause i only overclock while I am running a game and was wondering if that affects the life of the gpu more.
  16. straybeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been using my old VF-700 on my Visiontek X1950 Pro since a day after I bought the card. It works fine and gave me a lot better OC.

Stray
  17. dolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    It looks bad (I think that it is memory related problem). Uninstall all the programs like ATITool and ATI Tray Tools and restart. Try also with other PSU just in case. If you haven't success with the previous - RMA it as soon as possible (if you can of course).

Good luck
  18. 65tweet

65tweet New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm 99% sure that’s a memory problem. More specifically a memory interface problem. I know because I have tortured video cards in the past and know what some problems look like. I have two possible fixes if I'm correct:

1. Examine the card closely and look for damaged / missing components. Focus on the solder traces going from the memory chips and follow them to the end. I know it can be tedious but you may find something.

2. Flash you card with a 128 Mb memory BIOS (or modify yours). If you are lucky the 128 Mb that is disabled will be on the damaged portion and your card will have full functionality (be it half the memory).

The only other thing I know that causes similar problems is over-tightening the cooling and damaging the GPU. From my experience this causes the pattern you are seeing all over the display though. However if it is the GPU that’s damaged (from over-tightening) it may be the memory controller but I don't think that's likely.

A question I have also is did you volt mod it? If so then something on the memory could be fried but I'm not sure what that would look like or even if it would keep working.
  19. 65tweet

65tweet New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another thing just thought of too if you want to check for a damaged GPU. Carefully support the card and gently wiggle the heat sink. If still nothing loosen the heat sink and try again. Don’t have any 3D aps running if you do this though and temps should be OK for the short amount of time this should take. If the GPU is damaged this may cause the problem patches to move or go away. Just be aware of two things that could happen..

1. If the GPU is damaged this may make the problem worse.

2. When it’s loose and you’re not careful when wiggling, the heat sink could touch something and short out the card.

Just a thought hope this all helps and good luck. On the bright side though you have a valid reason to get a better card now:D .
  20. dolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have always wonder why my moded X850PRO to X850XT PE and 9800PRO 128MB (XT PCB) moded to real 9800XT 128MB are so stable and without any problems :) . And now finally I know - it is because they are absolutely sure that X1950XTX with E6600 are comming shortly on their place after stopping even one of them :laugh: :rolleyes: .
  21. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    <--- See my system specs for OC on the card.
    I only ran them when playing games, which was definitely less than 100 hours since install, but when I played I'd crank the fan speed and it never got over mid 40's C. That Zalman VF900 has worked great for me.
    I've only had the card for 8 months, but can't RMA it since it's has after-market upgrades. Granted I could flash the bios back, replace the stock cooling, etc, and lie about it to them, but I guess that's just not me :) There's always some risk involved with modding.... but tell that to my wife :rolleyes:
  22. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great idea about the PSU dolf; I have an older Antec SmartPower 350w sitting around that I modded for a test PSU.... I'll give that a shot! :)
  23. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh my... if I get really bored I might try that ;)

Any recommendations for a compatible 128mb bios?

I will try loosening the thumb screws on it, but the card isn't bent at all. Perhaps the strain was more than it could bear... if that's it, loosing it should do something (i.e. make it worse, better, different).

I haven't v-modded it.
  24. error_f0rce

error_f0rce New Member

Thanks Received:
  25. straybeat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been running the Visiontek version since it came out. It blows my X850 away gaming-wise. Now the wife is inheriting the Visiontek and I'm going for the 512 meg Sapphire when the next batch is out.

Don't know why they only made it available with 12 pipes, and there are none to upgrade to either. No 16 pipes hiding in the architecture. :shadedshu

Stray

Edit: The other "downside" which seems to bother some users, there are no sensors of any type on the card. So you can't track temps and things.