1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800GTO2 Overclocking Issues

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by scardog, Jul 16, 2006.

1. scardog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,
    I'm hoping you can be of assisstance.

I recently purchased a Sapphire Radeon X800GTO2 Graphics Card (PCI-E, 256Mb) with the belief that overclocking results would be significant.

PC Specs:
    Intel Pentium D 930 (Dual 3.0GHz)
    2Gb DDR2 RAM
    Power Supply 500W

I have tried using the TRIXX utility, ATITool and RivaTuner numerous times. But, the results are dissapointing. The max the core clock will reach is around 440 before the card crashes and gets reset. The memory clock seems to be better reaching 600. - A long way off results posted all around the internet.

The cards box says on the side, a connection to the power supply is required using a 12V connector. I have seen images on the net showing contents of the same model as mine including the required cable and a power connector in the corner of the actual card. There is only a blank space where this would be on my card and no such cable was bundled. I'm wondering if this is responsible for poor results?

Also, somewhat of a sidenote (may be relevant?) it seems I do not need to flash the BIOS of this card to unlock the extra 4 pipelines as in ATITool it shows, 'Active Pipelines: 16'. This is how it came out of the box...

Thanks for any help.

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Your card would not have booted without the direct connection to your power supply, so I think we can safely rule that one out. And ATItool detecting 16 active pipelines means that you are one of the lucky guys that got 16pp unlocked out of the factory. I would be pretty happy with the results if I were you. But if you're not, then you should consider buying ATISilencer5 to cool your card down, and maybe a bigger power supply.

3. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You''" one of the lucky guys to have a bad R480 core out of the ATI factory. A core that didn't make it as an XT or XT PE core.... Just out of luck for that one just like me. But me, it's around 510mhz, even with the mentionned Silencer, you can't get much more. It's definately a core problem. Mind you, you paid for a GTO2, not an XT or XT PE.

4. scardog New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, thanks for the replies.