1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800XT core is R420 in ATI Tool

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by trawlier5, May 21, 2007.

1. trawlier5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I see a post saying an X800XT should have a :banghead: R423 core.
    What :respect: card have I got?
    Can I :confused: overclock it?
    I tried overclocking with the ATI tool and :( at only 523 Core and 500 Memory it crashes:shadedshu
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I think my modded 850pro to 850xtpe had an r420 core, it still is a great card, I had to slap an AC cooler on it cause the stock cooler was junk and wouldn't keep stable at xtpe speeds (pro speeds 500/500, xtpe speeds 540/590), and with the AC cooler I could go beyond xtpe speeds by a decent margin and still maintain sub 60C load temps.
  3. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    R420 cores are the AGP versions, while the R423 cards are the PCIe versions. From what I understand, you have the R420, meaning it's AGP. I've got the X800XT AIW, and its also an R420. And the overclocking! My card HATES overclocking :banghead: , I'm presuming it's because of all the AIW features and hardware, but you won't have to worry about that! You will most likely have better luck tho!
  4. trawlier5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would my card be heating so much that it crashes? I would have thought increasing the core value in ATI Tool to 523 would have let the card run ok.

EDITED: yes it is an AIW...
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well if it's AIW, then it's not intended for OC-ing. Those things do push plenty of heat to those heatsinks, and I'm pretty sure that the AC coolers do not fit. And FatForester refreshed my memory, it's true r423 is PCIe and r420 is AGP.

Search the web to see what other people have gotten out of their AIW cards, but I'm sorry to say you will probably dissapointed. Sorry dude.
  6. trawlier5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thankyou for you help.
  7. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    My X800XT AIW did well in ocing.

I think I was running 550/580 forever.

423 AGP is what I had.
  8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Not bad for that AIW! I think the highest I got outta my x850 was approx 562-ish, I can't quite remember the exact, I just know 560s, and memory was 615-625...I'll have to check previous posts and get the exact numbers. But it OC'd like a champ for sure! And your AIW stayed pretty damn close to my clocks, gotta say I'm impressed!
  9. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I could hit 580/580-590

In some ways the X800xt AIW was faster than the normal X800XT
  10. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    That's awesome! Well then tell these guys how to do it, cause they gotta have something closer to your potential then...kickass
  11. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    ATi tool with a Zalmen and good memory heatsinks.
  12. trawlier5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    DaMulta...

...can you lead me through overclocking my x800xt AIW?
    I'm not very noobish, I kinda know my way around the Bios, I can clear the CMOS and change bios settings.
    I've looked at the ATI tool and I'm downloading the O'clockers bible right now...oh, hang on...I've just found a whole lot of ATI tweaking overclocking stuff here: http://files.aoaforums.com/D178-Ati Cards Only.html this r3dtweak.exe looks pretty good to me, I like the CCC...what do I do now?

Do you think it would be overheating that stopped my overclocking attempt, should I have disabled something before I tried overclocking?
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  13. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I never installed the TV part. Do you have the stock cooler on it?

I wouldn't use r3dtweak, only ATi tool or ATi tray tools.
  14. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you want to make the most of your card check out the volt mods and get a ac cooler, and you could prob get you clocks upto 600,600 or higher, which in gaming could add you like 8 or more fps, which is a lot when setting are on max and you can only get 15 fps
  15. trawlier5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, just a late update...
    I put an Accelero passive all copper heatsink on the AIW and installed an integrated software with CCC and the overclocks are Core 573MHz and Memory 597MHz...am I impressed by this...well, yes, but only because for the first time in my life after attempting to overclock a graphics card the card performed flawlessly.
    When playing First Person Shooters, there was a noticeable difference in the onscreen graphics. Noteably, white was pronounced, possibly it was the contrast increased, and the software was so so so easy to use unlike the ATI TOol or any other of the few tools I tried to use.
    I am going to sell this card and the cooler and the integrated overclocking tool in the CC software.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008