• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X850Pro, Dead?

Robbaz

I have newley removed my stock fan from my his x850pro and put a Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 X800, X850 on it. I could play for a while "was playing oblivion" when suddenly the i got a blackout. I restarted the computer and when i came into windows the computer said that there was a new grafic card found. Woot.? So i tryed to re-install Catalyst and it says that none ati card was found. Somehow its just a VGA card now. :nutkick: What the hell?

dduummyy

Processor Pentium D 805 Dual Core
Motherboard ASUS P5LD2
Cooling Koolance Watercooled
Memory OCZ Gold DDR2 667 2X1GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT 256DDR3 PCI Express16
Storage Western Digital 200GB SATA 8mb
Display(s) Hitachi 20"
Case Koolance
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1/ live drive IR
Power Supply Rosewill RP550-2
Software XP Pro
what kind of thermal paste did you put on it? Arctic silver has ruined a couple card i know of that was put on too heavy and got on the circuitry. Try taking off the heatsink and see if it got on anythin by accident.

Robbaz

It was some old paste my bro lended me, should i try to remove and clean it and buy some expensive paste. Can that save my card?

Robbaz

Robbaz said:
It was some old paste my bro lended me, should i try to remove and clean it and buy some expensive paste. Can that save my card?

WtF!? :mad:

it should follow paste with the package!="!¤)(!=#"¤(=?!()"1 but cant find it anywhere so i surly didnt get any when i bought it.

Well have to buy some then <.<

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
The fact that the video card is producing a picture is a good sign. I had a similar problem a month ago with my X800. Some driver (possibly for the chipset) or another video related windows file became corrupted and no matter how many times I tried to install the ATI drivers they would not work. I was left with just the standard VGA drivers untill I reinstalled windows (I know you hate to hear that). Some file could have become corrupted when the computer crashed. I agree with everyone else go ahead and put good thermal paste on since overheating could have caused the crash. If you buy new thermal paste get some arctic silver ceramique since it's not metal based it won't conduct electricity and will reduce the risk of damage to the card.