• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X850XT PE + ATI Silencer = No Graphics!!!

El Dubya

I just installed an Ati Slencer 5 Rev 2 on my new ATI X850XT PE and when I installed the card back into my rig all graphics are completely corrupt, just lots of random colors, lines static etc. I don't even get a post screen, just garbage. I checked the cooler installation carefully, made sure every thing is good and tight, still nothing. I put the stock cooler back on and everything is back to normal.

Not to be detered, I tried the Silencer again but still ended up with the same corruption problem. I checked everywhere very carefully to see if the heatsink is contacting any components but can find nothing. Everything is fully tightened and I get a good AS5 print on the bottom of the HS so I'm sure I'm getting good GPU contact.I finally put the stock cooler back on again and everything works fine once more. I'd like to use te Silencer but......

I'm completely baffled by this :banghead: . Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Ryosuke

Processor Athlon 64 3500+ Newcastle
Motherboard K8N Neo2 Platinum
Cooling Accelero X2 and Freezer 64
Memory 1 gb Corsair Twinx pc3200 c2 pro
Video Card(s) Sapphire x1950 pro
Storage Raptor 32gb + Seagate 120gb
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 941bw
Case Black Xblade
Audio Device(s) Audigy
Power Supply Antec Neopower 480w
Software Windows XP sp2
I had this problem with a x850 Pro modded to XT PE, just dont plug the silencer on the x850, get the juice from ur power supply with an adapte, but that is just my experience i dont know if that will work with ur card.

El Dubya

Thanks!! I was thinking that might have something to do with it but I didn't want to cut the power cord in case I decided to return the Silencer. I'll rig up an adapter and give it a try.

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Storage 4x320 7200.10 raid
Display(s) 21" sony trinitron
Case v2000b lianli
Audio Device(s) x-fi platinum
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
have you considered that it may be too tight?

turbopsi

On my zalman heatsink there are rubber O-rings that insulate the heatsink from the cards PCB, that way you arent grounding out anything.

I'd read the manual closely, make sure you didn't skip something.

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Storage 4x320 7200.10 raid
Display(s) 21" sony trinitron
Case v2000b lianli
Audio Device(s) x-fi platinum
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
the small area around the holes for the hs is suposed to be electricaly inactive - those ruber washers are for a spring effect :)

El Dubya

Problem solved!! It turns out the problem happens due to the Silencer fan being plugged into the graphics card. I left the stock cooler in place and jumpered power to it from a Molex plug temporarily and then just plugged the Silencer fan into the power plug on the board and voila, botched graphics.

Now I just need to determine if this a problem with this fan only or is it common to any Silencer 5 Rev 2 with this card. I guess I can take the Silencer back for a new one to make sure, pretty strange problem though.

Thanks for the tip Ryosuke, it got me thinking enough to try the fan trick.:toast: