• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X99 OC and Stability Isuues

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
Now that we're seeing some user comments from people who actually bought X99 boards, the recurring complaint seems to be the inability to overclock at all without a BSOD, and sometimes that a board won't run RAM at XMP profiles without a BSOD. An estimated 50% of all posters had problems with overclocking the CPU, XMP profiles, or both, across all brands and price levels. Many reported that flashing the latest firmware didn't help, or helped only slightly.
As I plan on using X99 for my next major build, I'm hoping these problems get worked out, as well as the less common but more serious "burning motherboard" issue.
I would like to hear from TPU members who care to share their X99 experiences with those of us that are on the fence. If I were to pay that much money for all new hardware, I'd be real disappointed if it turned into a nightmare of RMAs, support line hell, and a worthless system in the end. I'm not willing to risk it until the platform matures, if ever.
Since nobody seems to know what's at the root of the problem, it's up to us to compel the manufacturers to find the answers. Is it the DDR4 that's at fault, or is it a flaw in the chipset? Or maybe it's the IMC built into the CPU, or possibly poor motherboard design? Until more is known, adoption of the new extreme platform may be very slow.