1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbit found IQ differences in Metro 2033 during video card review

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by EastCoasthandle, Apr 6, 2010.

1. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    It appears that for whatever reason there is blurriness in Metro 2033 when using the 400 series. The developer says that it's the result of using AA however to me it looks like there is little to no AF being used. Or could be an issue with Analytical AA. In any case it looks like it should be fixed but it's not clear if it will be through driver or game patch.
    source

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Place each pic in it's own tab to see the difference. If you use FF drag each pic to the address bar and release it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    From my own personal experience, I've always had worse image quality with nVIDIA cards over ATi, hence why I've always stayed with ATi even if nVIDIA have managed to beat (whatever card) in the price to performance ratio.

It'll be interested to see what happens to the 'blurring' when the next nVIDIA drivers are released.

3. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    to it looks like there more detail on the guy in the 480 then 5870 has more on the surroundings

4. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    It really depends on the game.

5. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Little to no AF?

6. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    What other feature removes blurriness in this game besides AF? It may be Analytical AA but you didn't mention that. 16x AF maybe used but it may not be working properly. It's been already established that the blurriness of the IQ shouldn't be there so something isn't working properly. Regardless if you believe it to AF or otherwise.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  7. marvelous211

marvelous211 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So did I up until Geforce 8 series. Now I think they are on par.

8. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I look at those pics and all i see is poor animation around that folder, theres no way it stays up in real life if he holds it that way.

9. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    You've obviously never played the game. He isn't holding it. It's attached to his belt.

10. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    all i know is any gpu 8000 series or above is garbage to me because games i love to play dont run on them period

and all i can think on this is the same backlash issued at ATI for there filtering in crysis meh... just another thread that will degenerate into flaming

11. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    am i the only one that sees the ati one as having a tan tint to it?...like EVERYWARE?

12. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yea i see it but its more yellowish orange on my screen ie the color of the candle burning off screen

Solaris17 says thanks.
  13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    That's because:
    - Catalyst in latest revisions is applying negative LOD, making everything artificially sharper
    - NVIDIA's FSAA. Just look at the guy's hands and neck. It's a bit more jaggy on AMD card but without blurry overall image

But in normal conditions, i don't think anyone would have noticed this except in examples where you can switch images between tabs to compare.

14. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Artificially sharper?
    In the ATI pic I can almost read the letters in the wall poster. In the nVidia pic, everything is blurred out. It doesn't seem artificial to me.

15. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Wait I thought the 480 is god at everything is it possible in an nv driver they may have tweaked away quality to make a launch of a flagship card look better then it was :eek: that's unheard of who would commit such an attrocity 6h months late to the game with the preshott of video cards or 5800 ultra heat edition.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  16. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow, so that's why metro run so fast with nvdia card

17. twistedneck New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you guys read the entire thing, it happens equally to both cards when 4x MSAA is enabled. Only to Nvidia when just AAA is running. According to the game developer 4A Games, its not a hardware thing at all, a software patch is needed.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    What is AAA exactly in this game? Some special FSAA mode or something else?

19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to know too. What I'd also like to know is how can anyone with an ATi card run this game with x4 AA? It seems to be broken for ATi.

Where, in those screenshots? I don't see it.

20. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Works fine for me. Kill performance but it looks amazing. Playing on my TV I get away with 4xAA and DX11 high DOF off.

21. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's what I mean. I can play the game maxed out and everything enabled (Ok, 25 fps in heavy scenes), but once I turn the AA to x4, it's a slideshow. I would love to see some MSAA thrown into the game settings, forcing it in CCC doesn't work unfortunately.

22. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Take off DOF and Turn on 4xAA. It's a better trade IMO. DOF isnt as impressive as AA. If you need you gaming experience blurred beyond recognition I can send you some Canadian moonshine.

23. EastCoasthandle

Thanks Received:
    It's called Analytical AA and it suppose to be similarly to how Adaptive AA works. But I found no explanation as to how it works in this game.

[​IMG]
    4x MSAA

[​IMG]
    Analytical AA

Apparently, using Analytical AA makes images more sharper while not using AAA (IE:MSAA) makes them blurry. My guess is that AAA maybe rendering the image at double resolution then down sample them. But they need to example how it works.

24. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Lol, I actually like DOF. The way the characters move with it on is impressive, it kind of adds another dimesion to the game but it's a bit overdone.

I already beat the game, I'll go through it again in a month or so. No moonshine for me thanks, that stuff would kill me. :toast:

25. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure you mean DOF and not object motion blur? DOF should not have much affect on character animation. It should be all about blurring areas that should be out of focus. Crysis and COD4 do this when you scope in. In Metro 2033 it's just more agressive in blurring everything past X distance from user. Object motion blur on the other hand does exactly what it says. It creates blur on objection in motion while maintaining a sharply detailed environment for static objects.