1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox 360 wrapped in towel

Discussion in 'Games' started by KieranD, Feb 11, 2008.

1. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I just want you guys at TPU to tell my friend how dumb it is to try to fix your broken xbox by wrapping it in 2 towels OR even worse a wrapping it in a wet dish towel.

Please explain that his broken disk drive that chews up disks, tell him that his noisy overheating piece of shit broken red lights xbox should be sent away.

What is the logic in wrapping a towel around your xbox how would that fix it HOW come on how, if anything it would trap heat and make it hotter.
    PLUS a wet towel would just drip into the console and fuck it up!

Proves how dumbass people are to copy tips from the internet and actually believe them, sorry but i take everything on the internet with a pinch of salt, i need to be sure it is accurate and at least makes SOME SENSE SHEEESH.
    Problem is he got red lights and its broken and he thinks wrapping it in a towel will make it rise from the grave.

2. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Holy shit!!! WHY would you wrap it in a towel??? Last time I checked, a towel was phsyically incapable of repairing anything, let alone on xbox 360. It'll overheat, and if you wrap it in a WET towel... WOW... That's like askin yourself, "Can I get a fried xbox with a side of electrocution?" Hope the dude has a good life insurance pollicy and that it has you as a benificiary, lmao. He needs to mail the 360 to Microsft for repairs, and stop moving it while it's on; moving it while it's on is guarenteed to screw up the drives.

KieranD says thanks.
  3. regan1985 New Member

Thanks Received:
    there is a cooler on the gpu and somtime the solder they used wasnt that good or loosens up after intense use!

the idea of overheating it with a towl is to make the solder hot again and then get a better contact stoping the 3 red lights!

only problem is this wont work forever so you would be best off sending it off to get fixed,it is under microsofts warrenty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Xtu2fvj5E

KieranD says thanks.
  4. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't see this last bit until after I replied... WOW. If it works, I'm gonna start wrapping dead people in towels so I can bring them back to life and make a living off it, lmao. :laugh: He must be the next best thing to retarded.

KieranD says thanks.
  5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Its not me its a friend David my xbox is fine i wanted to break it at one point to see if i got one with HDMI back lol

Yeah he is a dumbass i have to show him this thread tho coz he actually tried it and got it on for a while and it suddenly turned off lol.

It actually snapped his Saints Row disk and he said it only happend once but it scratched my smackdown vs raw disk and i nearly beat him for it luckily im a good friend and let it go but seriously its free why would you want to keep that POS when you can get a fixed one for free.

EDIT: Im a good friend ao i had to as kyou guys to convince him it was wrong, sometimes i leave it to him if he wont see logic but this time to far mate.

6. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're nice to handle a stupid friend so kindly. :) I have a stupid friend that married this dude after he almost killed her while she was prego with his kid and I remind her of it constantly and all she'll say is that "he's chaged" Stupid people irritate me to no end, lol.

KieranD says thanks.
  7. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    he needs a assclown award

[​IMG]

8. beyond_amusia

beyond_amusia New Member

Thanks Received:
    hehe

9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    he needs a darwin award

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    SO true so true :roll:

11. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Would your friend be the type of person to give someone CPR for a gunshot wound in the head? (Kudos to those who watch Red vs Blue)

Explain to him that when the water from the wet towel condenses on the Xbox and fries his hardware, he will have voided his warranty and will need to buy a new console.

..and how exactly does wrapping two towels around his Xbox fix the optical drive? The alignment of the moons would have a bigger effect than two towels.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    there once was a rumor that you could wrap a 360 with 2 towls and cook it!!!YES COOK IT!!! and that would fix the 3rlod problem, so anything goes really XD

13. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    That must be why he's doing that. I don't know where he's getting the wet towel idea. Overheating aside, if the optical drive is malfunctioning, he needs to RMA it... NOW.

Edit: If he's the type that "doesn't want to wait", just... call him a noob all the time. Call him at 3:00 in the morning and say "What's up, noob? I just wanted to know how my noobiest noob is sleeping. Like a noob? I thought so. ...noob."

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    ^ rofl

15. anticlutch

anticlutch New Member

Thanks Received:
    Publicly humiliating your friend isn't going to do anything. I, like many people, have a few dumb friends but I never go out of my way to humiliate them (if at all). If I see them do something incorrectly, I offer to help fix the problem; if they refuse to listen to me, I stand back and watch. Not only does the resulting disaster(s) entertain me, but it also helps the friend learn the hard way (which is usually the only way to go for some people).

So in this case, I'd advise you to step back and give him room to make errors... Make sure to take pictures of the results though! I saw the towel fix on Youtube and was intrigued by it :p

16. Wastedslayer

Wastedslayer

Thanks Received:
    If you wanna know why you wrap it into a towel I didnt read the thread if someone already said this but the reason you get the red ring of death is because the Xbox overheated and the Solder came loose on the CPU or the GPU so wrapping it in towels heats it up again and you lay it on the right side and it in effect re solders it, it worked on both of my 360's so I wouldnt make fun of it, the wet dish towel now thats a diff story.

Wasted

17. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a friend who tried this too. It worked temporarily, he did it several times.

18. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    I was serious i know it worked for some, but others were stupid and cooked it

19. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Yeah yeah the 3 lights is for overheating but heating it up even more will just make it worse!
    Thats bull if the paste on the gpu cpu melts then it dosnt exactly fix it it needs reapplying but doing that would void the console.

Just better to send it off, that way when he gets a refurb console it isnt chewing up disks and heating his room like a radiator or loud enuf to scare a deaf person.
    Problem is he is a dumbass and he did it it temporarily worked and he says its getting sent away but i somehow think he dosnt want to send it away GOD KNOWS WHY NOT THO.

20. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, you don't get it. The solder that connects the CPU/GPU to the mainboard loosens over time, so you need to heat it up enough for it to melt again and make contact.

21. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

22. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    omg... I want that towel...

Nice Hitchhikers Guide reference...

23. Necrofire

Necrofire New Member

Thanks Received:
    People people, fix your spelling, please.

The solder doesn't get hot enough to melt.
    What happens is over time the solder breaks loose, and this is known as 'cold solder.'

Anyway, wrapping the 360 in a towel will cause it to heat up, and when metal heats, it expands. The expanding solder will make contact again, thus repairing it. Then when it cools down, the connection is broken again.

Lastly, please use a spell-checker, you sound like an 11-year-old. Also, do not say that you spell like crap because you are lazy, that's just stupid.

24. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    maybe youe supposed to use the pot smoking towel from southpark?

25. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Silverel says thanks.