1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox One Chip Slower Than PlayStation 4

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, May 24, 2013.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sales are bound to drop due to the supposed\planned release of the new consoles. And for people like my self only play a few classy games it's more than $60 you paying with a xbox as you gotta tag on the monthly fee o top and that would be like paying $100+. That's why they need to get the new models out the door ASAP.

So if i get one of the ewer systems it would have to not have a monthly fee.

It would be nice what the power usage is of these newer ones too how much better are they.

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Ever think that is because no one wants to buy games for a console that over 7 years old? This is fallout from Sony and MS waiting as long as possible before revamping the console yet again. I wouldn't buy any games for 360 for the simple fact that they're expensive and it doesn't look nearly as good. When the PS4/Xbox One comes out I seriously think those numbers will change again.

This was true of the 360 as well, but it didn't change a whole lot. Also you have to keep in mind that the Xbox and PS are closed systems. They don't have nearly as much overhead as regular PCs do. I would think this to be true of any hardware, including a computer you build 2 years ago then go to replace now. Technology is always getting faster and if you wait you will reap the benefits.

I don't think MS would be doing this if they didn't think they could make some money off of it.

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my quad core APU laptop can idle at 11W.

i'd expect the range to go between 10W-65W, at an educated guess (i dont know what things like kinect will do to power)

4. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    All games, should and would run as intended at 60 FPS, providing the frame rate is stable and consistent.

Unless you are specially trained super soldier your brain and eyes won't be able to process 120FPS.

5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Oh ye gods not this argument again.

Mussels and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  6. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    But unlike the console we will have the overhead of the OS and all its integration, lack of DDR5 RAM and insane bandwidth and or low latency, custom built for a purpose.

Current comparisons show anywhere from a 0% to 400% increase in overhead when rendering a scene.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/2

The most common used number is about 25% overhead even on a "clean" gaming only machine as the host OS has threads running and interrupting, fouling caches and memory mismanagement.

So a minimum 25% higher than a 8 core 8GB of truly high speed RAM and perhaps 10% more performance with the new memory architecture? Sure a Ivy with a Titan or a "Ghz" edition with overclocks will beat it, but that isn't the point. The point in the cost for playing a said game and the entertainment factor of it.

http://www.zdnet.com/valve-linux-runs-our-games-faster-than-windows-7-7000002060/

Linux runs it faster as it can be tweaked more by third parties to reduce the OS overhead, but it will still have some. Both the PS4 and Xbox will have even more benefit in matching hardware and software.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Reasonable guess, that Kinect has vents on it hehe. Hopefully better than a aged 90w SONY PS3 slim.

I'll probably wait till they bring out the second model or even a much lower priced one as it be only used for the odd game although it will not be a XBox.

8. ogharaei TPU Proofreader Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the Playstation will win this time around. Really disappointed that Microsoft won't support Indies with the Xbox One.

9. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I won't buy either but as long as the AAA titles come over to the PC I'll be happy. I haven't even played half of my Gamecube/PS2 library yet (yay! bargain bins!) not to mention my Wii/U games (100+).

Now that both consoles have x86 hardware there's few reasons to not port games to the PC so hopefully we'll see a big influx of games this time...not that there's a shortage of good games lately anyway.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    This...

I dont mean to sound like a troll or anything but i will wait it out and see who has the better exclusives. I have a 360 with probably 40+ games that i need to beat and i think 15+ are Rpgs. lol. I will probably buy another 360 for as cheap as possible just in case if my old system decides to bite the dust.

11. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    As long as consoles/consumer TVs are using HDMI don't get your hopes up for more than 1080p/1600p @ 60Hz. Thank you HDCP! :nutkick:

2560 x 1600 would be pretty sweet for TVs though...

12. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    HDMI will be incrementally upgraded to support 4K iirc.

13. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Sure, our kids might have it. More than likely by the time displays/HDMI are supporting those capabilities in the mainstream i prolly won't be interested :roll:

Don't forget there has to be content that is produced in those parameters in order to use those specs ;)

DL-DVI & Optical fTw! :pimp:

14. EpicShweetness

EpicShweetness

Thanks Received:
    Lets not also forget that consoles have no "kernal" as it were. In situations were you launch a game a console has the ability to completely halt this "kernal" were a Windows machine runs a kernal for other tasks and computations requested by and of software to hardware.

One other thing lets not forget that the Xbox 360 and PS3 have notable differences in their visual ability, but were that difference shows its self is when the game devs are willing to take the time to exploit it. Example Uncharted 2, bar none. It is the fact this game took quiet awhile in the lifespan of the consoles life to show up that also supports this. Thus we will have a repeat were game devs must "learn" the platform at first and be willing to. So at first we will see no notable difference between the 2, but when we do the PS4 will shock n' awe us.

15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Do some research or don't talk about something you don't know. The 360 and PS3, like modern PCs, have a kernel that runs and takes control when the device boots. Also, to say that older consoles do not have kernels is incorrect. Older consoles might not have had a unified kernel that everything uses like the 360 does, but each game had its own variant of a kernel to manage the hardware that it's running on. Now as we have smartened up about technology, the best things have prevailed and that's why you now see things like *nix based kernels on smartphones left and right and microcontrollers in your coffee machine (like my Keurig).

16. BrainCruser New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually there is a very good chance they will be able to use them within months since the PC code line will work for almost anything, and that extra ram oh, a devs paradise.

17. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    This is scary:

18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    New way of collecting data on people without annoying them without ads ?.. Ooh Have fun with that XBox..

Those camera's sound more creepy each time they open their mouths.

19. NeoXF

Thanks Received:
    Uhm, aside from totally missing my point and flaring out PC fanboy nonsense, what other purpose did your comment serve?

IMHO, if SONY wants to do a PS5, they can do it much sooner at this point... seeing as how they probably wouldn't have to worry about compatibility, if they keep on the x86 track that is... and seeing as how PS3 are selling for so little at this time, I can see PS4 either selling at a similar low price or being upgraded to a faster one, with full compatibility, down the road. Same goes for M$ at this point. Because I don't really see hardware price as big as a issue as some people make it out to be... I mean, gawd... we pay so much for the games themselves...

20. EpicShweetness

EpicShweetness

Thanks Received:
    Notice the quotation marks :banghead:
    You want me to be technical I'll PM ya a 10 page essay :shadedshu

21. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    Oh yes, beside direct memory access there is a benefit for really simple actions that are executed in large numbers each frame such as issuing draw calls, which is what Steevo is talking about.

Luckily issuing draw calls is the only significant accumulated overhead here, because everything else for scene rendering is already in VRAM. I suppose that's why NVidia wants to integrate general purpose ARM cores into Maxwell.

... and now some speculation: future of pc gaming could be: cpu does AI, physics, and streams over PCI-E bus only changes/differences for dynamic game objects/characters, on GPU diff gets merged with last frame state and general purpose ARM cores issue draw calls crazy fast for all geometry and their positions/rotations already in VRAM prepared by the cpu.

22. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It's a difference between simplifying and being inaccurate. I'm pretty sure the 360 and PS3 has kernels (unless "kernal" is something else entirely).

Anyway, about processing power: Wouldn't the connection to Azure cancel this out a bit? That is the part I'm actually almost excited about.

23. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:
    This thread = :roll:

24. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Go ahead, maybe I should send you a picture of my degree in Computer Science. :slap:

You mean how you can't spell kernel right?

I fixed your post. :)

25. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Is this a bad time to point out that the xbox one has 3x kernel as disclosed by Ms and one is always active sometimes two.

Aquinus says thanks.
    5 Million points folded for TPU