1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox One Doesn't Support AMD Mantle API

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Oct 15, 2013.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As proponents of the DirectX API, which single-handedly shaped consumer 3D graphics market for the past decade and a half, it shouldn't come as a shocker, that Microsoft's next-generation entertainment platform, the Xbox One, will not support AMD's ambitious Mantle project, a 3D API that's tailor-made for the company's Graphics CoreNext GPU micro-architecture, on which the GPU driving the Xbox One is based. The company released a statement to that effect mentioning that "other APIs" such as OpenGL and AMD Mantle won't be supported on Xbox One. Says Microsoft;

The Xbox One will support DirectX 11.2, an evolution over DirectX 11, which adds support for a new feature called "Tiled resources," which lets 3D apps more efficiently manage available hardware resources, by streaming portions of single large textures as a 3D scene being rendered demands it. It heralds a kind of virtual memory system for the GPU, and Microsoft could encourage game developers to take advantage of it, for their Xbox One titles. Such a feature already exists with OpenGL.

Source: Microsoft

2. jigar2speed

jigar2speed

Thanks Received:
    I see Microsoft is playing with the words and this is to confuse people.

MANTLE, OPENGL AND DIRECT X API is also not supported on PS4 because they have their own API to talk to APU.

Microsoft is just being obvious here. :wtf:

3. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    At the GPU14 the only reference to consoles was that Mantle could be used by developers to make porting easier. Nothing was mentioned as a replacement to next-gen consoles.

4. urza26

urza26

Thanks Received:
    Right, because using a high level API on fixed hardware is so efficient.

5. HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Thanks Received:

Actually, PS4's is based on OpenGL.

AMD implied that Mantle could be used to develop game across three platforms (PS4, Xbone, PC), but now the truth comes out. Mantle will be used for only one platform, PC. And it will be a very, very small niche of users on that platform.

I think we can safely stick a fork in Mantle. Glide 2.0 is officially done. It's for the best.

Fluffmeister says thanks.
  6. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    LOL, glide 2.0. I was wary of the rampant fanboyism? with recent mantle reports and discussions but unless a variety of publishers and developers adopt it, its dead dead.

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yep, Mantle will be AMD's Hardware Accelerated PhysX.

I know Microsoft is forcing DX11.2 on the Xbone because they want to push their API, but it would have been nice if they would allow OpenGL as well. Honestly, I think it would have led to a much better experience of gamers if all 3 major platforms(PS4, Xbone, and PC) all had a common API that game developers could use. It certainly would lead to less crappy ports.

However, I think now that Xbox will be the only console not use OpenGL that means developers will likely start developing games in OpenGL first and release native versions for PC and PS4, and then port the game over to Xbone. So I'm guessing most of the Xbone titles will end up being ports.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Developers and publishers will favour the platform that maximizes their $$, either through sales or special exclusivity deals with console makers.

Nobody is gonna ask the programmers what platform they like to develop for.

9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That is true, but I would think being able to program for OpenGL and having a game that works on two platforms pretty much right away would be a pretty big savings. Plus, programming in OpenGL opens ups Linux and OSX as well, even though those two aren't really big gaming markets.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    PS4 does not exactly use OpenGL btw, it's called libgcm and is a heavily modified version of OpenGL, that won't just work on any other platform

jigar2speed says thanks.
  11. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    this is like reporting that water is wet...

12. jigar2speed

jigar2speed

Thanks Received:

Like i said every console maker has their own API. :)