1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xbox One Teardown

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by natr0n, Nov 21, 2013.

1. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
    jgunning says thanks.
  2. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Is that also pulling double duty as system RAM?

3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Yep, all 8GB. 6-7GB is what is usable by the game developers, rest is used by the OS.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    So in the end, it's only like 4GB sys RAM and a couple GB VRAM. Nothing to get excited about.

5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Not entirely. the ram is all in the same pool. same type. DirectX 11.2 came out mainly due to the way memory is handled on the xbox one.

6. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    yup so its 2133mhz ram on it and oh the memories, . . . . . . xclamp, hopefully ms uses better solder this time.

from everything I have seen though about 2.5GB-3GB of ram is reserved for the os and it looks like less than 400gb is available for game installs and the other stuff, but I wonder what the speaker is for?

well, . . . hopefully everything will go ok this time.

7. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    I believe it got the same "grade/rating" teardown as the PS4, no?

8. The Von Matrices

The Von Matrices

Thanks Received:
    I still am stumped why the One is about 50% larger than the PS4 and requires an external power brick as well. There are a nearly identical number of components in the One compared to the PS4, but they're all on only one side of the PCB. Sony spreads out the components on both sides (presumably using a PCB with more layers) and therefore is able to use a smaller PCB and chassis. The only explanation for Microsoft's decision I could assume is that Microsoft was extremely, unnecessarily cautious with the cooling requirements and wanted air flowing over everything.

On a side note, after looking at the chassis I am nostalgically reminded of the original XBOX.

9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    The fan blade design intrigues me. If they'll drop 100m on redesigning a controller maybe they invested in designing the perfect fan..... or they just used some generic oem design. I haven't seen it anywhere else though.

Sony has more experience since they make laptops, they also went with a blower which saves space. MS was a bit paranoid and wanted silence but redundant cooling capacity.

10. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I would guess the ps4 heasink is better since its blowing air on the heatsink vs ms where its sucking hot air away from heatsink and other components(the fan looks similar to the xbox slim but larger0 + the fact that the ps4 memory is cooled by assembly vs the one which only has airflow over the memory. Both approaches should be good but i am going to guess the one will run hotter and probably quieter.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  11. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Actually that's mostly how it is. No matter how MS likes to spin it, ESP when Dx is used, the memory is either in use for VRAM or CPU cycles, and actually memory use is one of the areas where Dx is not so good. To understand it more you need to listen to the Mantle developer summit, where they talk about one of the key differences being that the memory is not locked in and more free to use where it's needed.

12. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    :(

I need to get more RAM!.

13. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    so you prefer blowing dust thru the heatsink (and the console) instead of getting the hot air from the inside of the console outside?

both cooling solution are good.

funny i had a Xbox, Xbox 360 some PSone and PS2 but for the next generation... i don't know ... maybe i stick to what is really efficient, computer .... for games the PS4 has more franchises i like it seems and the Xbox One seems to have nothing usefull ... a multimedia center, hum nope there is some other more efficient less invasive solutions.

14. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    And according to hynix, it's CL14, btw. :)

The Von Matrices says thanks.