1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX 5870 Reference Bios Flash?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by ap4lifetn, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ap4lifetn New Member

Thanks Received:
    So...i have a reference XFX 5870 which you all know is locked to 900/1300 in ccc

with MSI afterburner enableunofficialoverclocking, you can bypass it, however i lose my idle clocks of 157/300

i want to flash my BIOS to the asus unlocked one as i heard i can oc it and still keep my idle clocks super low which makes my card run cooler

If i ever need to send my card back for an RMA, i will flash my original BIOS back, but can they tell whether i flashed it before and use it as a reason to void my warranty?

there are new XFX bios available, i have the first 5870 BIOS compiled, are any of the newer ones unlocked?

Is it better to just use RBE and edit my clocks and flash that?
    i'm only looking for a mild OC, maybe 950ish core
  2. ap4lifetn New Member

Thanks Received:
    it seems the newest version of sapphire trixx is just what i'm looking for, allows me to OC/adjust voltage, while keep my super low idle clocks
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    yeah go ahread and get the Sapphire BIOS. if the XFX card was non reference then you wouldnt be able to flash to a reference bios or it would brick the card
  4. ap4lifetn New Member

Thanks Received:
    my xfx is a reference design

i didn't need to flash the bios, apparently the newest version of trixx allows me to overclock and increase voltage while keeping my low idle clocks