• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX 6870 bios problem?

Rex Thunder

Processor i7 950
Motherboard MSI X58 Pro
Cooling Stock
Memory 2 x 4GB Strontium
Video Card(s) XFX HD-6870 1GB
Storage OCZ Vertex2 60GB, WD Cavier Black 1TB
Audio Device(s) M-Audio Delta 1010LT
Power Supply Aerocool V12XT-600 600W 80+
Hi guys, I'm new here, I was hoping somebody might be able to help me out. I bought an XFX 6870 last week (HD-6870A-ZHFC single fan) which I'm using in my Windows 7 x64 machine. It ran fine for a couple of days, played a little Black Ops at full settings without issue, until I decided that the stock fan settings were too aggressive/loud for my applications (I use this rig primarily for recording music). I edited the fan curves in the bios using RBE v.128 and flashed the card with Winflash seemingly successfully. However:
a) The fan speeds were not changed at all (No big deal, I'll settle with using Afterburner)
b) Sporadic BSoDs began occuring, during startup, during 2D windows stuff, during anything.

I quickly flashed back to the original unmodified bios that I had saved initially, this time using ATIflash from a bootdisk to avoid any fuck ups, though this helped none. BlueScreenView seems to be reporting an alternation between watchdog.sys & dxgkrnl.sys as the causing driver. Using both the latest Radeon Drivers and the ones that came on the installation CD does not change anything. Doing a clean install of windows still produces the same problems and forcing a flash with the XFX HD6870 bioses on the database here rendered the card innoperable. When I took the card back into the store I bought it from (Without mentioning anything about me playing with the bios :ohwell:) and the guy stress tested it with a variety of benchmarks it didn't have any problems. I would think PSU problems, except that it ran fine for a few days until I flashed the bios and a 600W PSU with 52A on the 12V rails ought to be plenty sufficient... Find attached the original bios and modified one, as well as the last few dump files. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Dump Files.zip
    101.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Bios.zip
    80.5 KB · Views: 191
System Name Intel
Processor Q3740m
Motherboard Clevo P170EM
Memory TeamGroup Xtreem DDR2-667 MicronD9 3-3-3-8/GSkill 4Gb 1066Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6870 Vapor-X/Sapphire X1950XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb + WD green 1Tb + WD Black 500Gb
Display(s) Asus LCD 22"
Case ThermalTake sViking
Audio Device(s) Realtek OnBoard
Power Supply LC Power Hiperion 700Watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Hi...

I have a Sapphire HD6870 Vapor-X. I've checked size of your files and they are precisely the same size of mine but i have saved my BIOS with GPU-z as recommended in the official tuto.

I'm going to download your original and compare it with mine in RBE. If they are identical, you may want it to try with my original...

What you think about that?

Cheers

System Name Intel
Processor Q3740m
Motherboard Clevo P170EM
Memory TeamGroup Xtreem DDR2-667 MicronD9 3-3-3-8/GSkill 4Gb 1066Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6870 Vapor-X/Sapphire X1950XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb + WD green 1Tb + WD Black 500Gb
Display(s) Asus LCD 22"
Case ThermalTake sViking
Audio Device(s) Realtek OnBoard
Power Supply LC Power Hiperion 700Watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Well, maybe it's not that good idea...

Check comparison.

Your original is on the left as you can see...