1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX 6970 flashing

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by motoNGXtrm, Aug 15, 2011.

1. motoNGXtrm New Member

Thanks Received:
    good day to all, just wondering if anybody flashed a standard xfx 6970 to a xfx 6970 black edition bios? was planning to do it but i really need some confirmation from others.

2. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why?

3. motoNGXtrm New Member

Thanks Received:
    for increase core and memory clock, and it will save me the time overclocking it every time i boot up, was successful flashing a sapphire 6870 reference card to xfx 6870 black edition bios and was really wondering this would be possible specially its both 6970 xfx gpu :).

4. c12038

Thanks Received:
    Just use MSI Afterburner and setup profiles in the program to match the XFX BE 6870

5. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, well it is possible. They're the same cards, although I would probably either modify the original BIOS that came with it and reflash it, or use sapphire trixx to setup OC profiles. This way you're not stuck with the crappy preset OC of the black edition. That OC is not very great.

If you absolutely want to - go ahead. It should flash with 0 problem.

6. motoNGXtrm New Member

Thanks Received:
    u sure it will be okay? anyways just remembered that i have a XFX 6970 with the bios switch so if anything goes wrong i can use the protected bios, would like to modify the bios but I'd rather try flashing it first, will give it a GO and post here for results

7. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    +1 for not taking the chance of a flash. Use a utility. Besides, the meager clock and subsequent fps differences you will not notice in gaming I would imagine. Can you see the difference between 60-63 fps? (point is a couple of FPS).

8. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    No one can be 100% sure a bios flash will be okay, ever. The cards are identical hardware, so it SHOULD work just perfectly. Can I guarantee you 100% safety? NO. It's up to you to take the risk.