1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX 7950 Core Edition - Help needed with temps / bios

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by shakaxd, Oct 26, 2012.

1. shakaxd

shakaxd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey lads, :toast:

Last night I replaced a Gigabyte 5850 OC (GV-R585OC-1GD) for a XFX 7950 Core Edition (FX-795A-TNFC) and... well, I'm yet to be fully impressed with it.

It comes with a reference 800/1250 clocks and I don't know if I can (or should) flash its bios with the "850 boost 925" one AMD released. Or if I should flash it with some other bios. Or not flash it at all.

Biggest worry as of now is its temperatures. 5850 never got past 76c under heavy use for hours, on a hot day and mild overclock. Couldn't hear its fans too. But this 7950 is loud. I mean, loud. Whenever I load a game it almost instantly heats up to high 70c, low 80c and fans go all the way to 70% mark to keep temps around 83c after a while. It's so damn loud I have to turn up the volume or use earphones.

Questions are: about flashing bios, would it somehow help with this undesirable high temperatures or only make it worse? If it helps, which bios to go?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012