1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX lies about their warranty

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by waxking1, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waxking1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just wanted to let everyone know about the XFX warranty and my experience with them.

I bought an XFX 280 GTX XXX about a month ago and installed an EK waterblock on the card. In order to install the waterblock, I had to remove the label on the back of the card. The label is a thick plastic laminate covering all the screws. I had a feeling when I peeled the label off that I may be voiding my warranty and was willing to take the risk.

I later found out that XFX honors warranties even after using aftermarket cooling solutions. This is the Catch22, you can use a waterblock or aftermarket cooler, but you can't damage the label to take the card apart. After I confronted them with this, they then lied and claimed I sent the card back to them wet.

Anyway I just wanted to warn everyone about the XFX cards. If you ever plan on taking one apart for any reason, they will void your warranty. They are liars. The real problem is that once you damage the label, they can't return it to their suppliers for credit. I believe the card was designed this way intentionally so to avoid any warranty claims after taking the card apart.

If you think you may ever want to do any aftermarket cooling or replacing or the thermal compound, then you should purchase from EVGA.
    FudFighter, WarEagleAU and mrhuggles say thanks.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is true with any manufacturer if you remove or tamper with the label.
    Duffman says thanks.
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have to agreed here. I had 4 7600GT XXX's and had blocks on them all. a bit of penciling here and a few beers there, and blamo they popped. XFX was a bit slow on the first RMA, but a bit of complaining sped the next couple along well. I never had an issue at all with the warranty, altho I didnt have to peel the stickers either. Maybe carefully cutting around the screws could have saved you a ton of anguish. Although, hindsight is always 20/20.
  4. lucasweir

Thanks Received:
    yea but i heard XFX is modder friendly and will replace any fXcked up cards for free?
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Not if you tamper with the label.;) Plus, what if said "modder" is an idiot, and has no idea what they are doing? Just like normal people, companies need to cover their own asses.
    Cybrnook2002 and 95Viper say thanks.
  6. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    They do, they asked me why the card went bad and I told them directly I didnt think it could handle the voltage. Although, when I got my last 7600 from them it was a real dud, and wouldnt overclock worth a squat. Nothing a bios swap didnt change, those sneaky buggers!

And again DONT MESS WITH THE LABEL!
  7. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.
    I guess the label maybe in places which make it impossible to install certain aftermarket cooling.
    I think my XFX 8800GT VF830 had the sticker in a place away from any holes where it could have been a problem.
    Anyway the XFX warranty isn't covered where I live, it has to go through the vendor.
  8. waxking1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's the Catch 22. There is no doubt in my mind that the reason they put the thick label over the screws is so that they would have a reason to justify their warranty refusal. It was the only 200 series card I had and the plastic laminate is so thick you can't even tell where the screwholes are. Either way, I would have buggered up the label. If you want to take your card apart for any reason, then don't buy XFX period. I am referring to the GTX200 series cards because I don't know about labels on their other cards.
  9. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    well, you should have told them first before you took it off so they would know, I think they don't take back cards with damaged labels because of the chance they could be swapped, it didn't matter what card you had though, XFX, EVGA, LEADTEK, end result would have been the same.

I still think in the US and Canada XFX has one of the best warranties, never had a problem with them yet with about 5 cards

what you could have done is just heat up the sticker, remove it, and put it back on later, that simple, ive done it before
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, this is common knowledge...

But if they are intentionally placing the label there and saying ya go ahead replace the cooler... That's just plain dirty business.
    {JNT}Raptor says thanks.
  11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Please show me where XFX says they will cover cards that use aftermarket cooling. No company I know of officially supports any modification of their cards, including XFX.

In fact, if you read the warranty you would have seen:

Missing labels=Not original condition
    btarunr says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  12. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Here, Here, agreed.

Plus, I tells ya, If tampered with, means you eat it if you do. They can be nice and take it back to be replaced, but they do have to protect themselves.

You figure if they sell say 100 hundred cards and fifty people screw them up; and they are nice enough to just replace them - you think they would be in business.

I can see your point, and sympathize, but that ain't going to change there policy. I worked in a big company, I know how slow the wheels turn and their corp. thought processes.

Can you say drones! Let's add... scared drones!
  13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    My mate just bought a 4850 with a warranty stickered fan screw,mine never had no warranty void blah blah sticker on it at all.
  14. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    It's been said many times-
    http://www.precomania.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=43232740/id_type=masterid
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_9800_gtx_performance_preview/page2.asp
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1292534

As you can see XFX does allow such things.
    FudFighter says thanks.
  15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I see nothing offical from XFX in any of that, just people on the internet making claims. Show mean something offical from XFX, or any company, that says they officially support aftermarket cooling.

Edit: And yes, I know unofficially they usually have no problem with aftermarket cooling, but there is nothing official about it. However, that is true of pretty much any company as long as you return the card to its original condition before shipping it back to them. No matter how many people, including reviewers that have no offical tie to the company, say otherwise, no card manufacture's warranty covers aftermarket cooling.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  16. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Their supplier for credit? They are the supplier. Whom exactly have you been in contact with? The store or XFX themselves?
  17. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
  18. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Here then, as a dealer of XFX I got their warranty down :)

What do I get?

* Lifetime Warrantys
    * Transferable Protection
    * Modder Friendly

* Service charge is variable based upon actual material costs to repair or replace missing or modified parts to return them to original factory condition.*

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support/WarrantyInformation.aspx?ispreview=true
  19. waxking1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes they do say that they allow such things but in reality they don't. Good luck to anyone trying to heat the label and put it back on.:laugh:

The label I removed had no serial number, model number or anything like that, it was just an XFX brand graphics label. You guys can defend XFX all you want. I'm just stating don't expect to use an aftermarket cooling devices on an XFX card and retain your warranty, don't even expect to be able to change your thermal paste. I have had two EVGA 260s and the first one I probably took apart and put back together 3 or 4 times trying to get the best coverage of thermal paste. I ended up stepping up to a 280-216 but I never took that card apart. The screws on EVGA cards are not covered and I had no idea that the XFX card would be this way until I received it.
  20. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
  21. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    if you look at the site they have different warranties depending on the series of the card in question!

Tick the 7 series cards warranty and you will see the double lifetime modder friendly version, on the 200's it is a whole different policy.

So in essence a lack of homework caused this issue not XFX. Assumtions usually end up bad!
  22. wolf2009 Guest

answer the man !
  23. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    On the GTX Line-
    What do I get?

* Lifetime Warrantys
    * Transferable Protection
    * Modder Friendly
    Service charge is variable based upon actual material costs to repair or replace missing or modified parts to return them to original factory condition.
    ** See additional details on the XFX Product Registration Page.

9K line is the one I posted...
    8k line- is exactly the same.

I'm not saying XFX is a dirty company, I sent them an 8800GS the other day with a zalman cooler on it and they sent it right back with a new xfx cooler with a $23 service charge and the zalman no longer connected.

Everyone will have their cases, I have had nothing but luck, but they do state that they allow you to change the cooler, if you like I can get a email from my direct rep. and copy that into here.
  24. waxking1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only thing I could think of was maybe they have it sourced from China or something, but that is what the guy said. I was talking directly to XFX support.
  25. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Id look again as i say the 7 series says double lifetime and the 200 series is only 2 years and doesnt say modder friendly!