1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

xfx or gigabyte??

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by mos187, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mos187

mos187 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guyz,

quick question, What should i go for:

- xfx Geforce 8800GT 512MB 128BIT (Alpha Dog Edition XXX)
    - Gigabyte GA8800GT 512MB 256Bit (With Zalman Fan)

i really wanted to get the xfx card, but after knowning its only 128bit i got confused, so please help me out her, i mean is the giabyte (which costs less) better...

thanxx...

2. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the Gigabyte is better in every way, maybe not warranty. It has a three phase setup compared to the XFX's 2, and moreover, software voltage control owns. Its got better cooling too, with the VF830 ALCU keeping it around less than 50*C. The XFX chokes on a loud cooler and temps far higher than that. I find preoce'd reference cards a joke.

3. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    i wouldn't go with an XFX pre oc edition, however if the reference model can be found decently cheaper than the gigabyte its a viable option.

however given the choice laid out, tkpenalty is absolutely correct, the gigabyte wins.

i wouldn't go as far as to say its better in EVERY way, but no doubt its better.

4. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cooler, quieter, better PCB, better circuitry, shorter PCB, better cooling, lower power usage, and preoc'ed 8800GT from gigabyte.

One thing its missing, the godlike warranty. The Gigabyte warranty is what you would call the normal manufacturer warranty.

5. Tech9 Guest

there is no 8800gt 128bit cards, they are all 256bit

6. wolf

Thanks Received:
    having said that, if you just buy either and whack it in, there isn't MUCH difference, not to mention even without the better circuitry and cooler or whatever, if anything EVER goes wrong, XFX will replace or repair it, and gigabyte will only do that for a limited time.

i am not disagreeing with you tk, the gigabyte IS the better card, however there is absolutely nothing wrong with an XFX 8800GT either.

7. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'm currently juggling between a XFX 8800GT Zalman and a Gigabyte Zalman model.
    The XFX has copper heatpipes while the Gigabyte does not.
    I saw a thread at hardforum about the Gigabyte 8800GT Zalman version 1 having memory cooling issues.
    I haven't seen any reviews on the XFX Zalman version.

I personally will most probably be going to buy the XFX model since the cooler looks to be better and has a longer warranty.

8. wolf

Thanks Received:
    cant argue with that, sounds like deductive reasoning to me.

as long as you buy what suits your needs you'll be fine.

9. wolf

Thanks Received:
    ahh, one feature the XFX 8800's totally have over ANY gigabyte is the metal rail that runs along the top edge of the card.

i hate getting a big long card that droops because its so long and heavy. no chance of that ever happening with an xfx my friend.

granted its really not much of a feature at all, its a feature nonetheless, and a good one.

also XFX's use a slightly better reference cooler with a bigger fan inlet hole and a fan with 2 more blades, again not a huge change but with 100% fan its enough to shave 20 degrees of the original reference cooler.