• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX R9 280x Flickering / 3D Problem

apopelka

Hi there, I'm having some problems with my new XFX R9 280x wich I bought for my new Display, Samsung U28D590D. In order to get 4k @ 60hz I had to connect it mDP to DP (samsung spec).

After booting for first time, installed latest drivers, reboot, and when I started using windows / chrome I noticed an annoying flickering on the screen (really bad), lowered resolution and it stoped, tried hdmi - hdmi connection and also no flickering (but 4k @ 30hz), started to look for some solutions and found it might be solved with bios update, but before that I tried on a clean windows install just to be shure it wasn't a software problem (same thing) so I made a backup of BIOS and updated with latest one for this model on this page and for my surprise it worked, started windows againg and no flickering at 4k@60hz but then I tried to test the card on a game but every game (far cry 4, watchdogs, CoD Ghosts...) they all crashed with "driver stopped and recovered" and simmilar errors.
This is what I tried:

Checked temps and they are all under 45 degrees
latest mother bios
latest drivers
tried several bios (no luck!)

System Specs:

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5
i7 4771
8GB Corsair Vengeance
Thermaltake TR2 600W

What can I do? any thoughts? looks like there was a lot people having issues with this card and I can't think of returning it because I bought it on a trip to Canada (ncix).

Any help will be apreciated, Thanks!

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
1. Shitty cable. Yes at 4K60FPS it is a major problem, and tonns of reports for that. Try a different cable.

2. I had one this also... raised voltages to vmem and GPU, had occasional artifacting, black screen. Hardmoded vrm's.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Hi there, I'm having some problems with my new XFX R9 280x wich I bought for my new Display, Samsung U28D590D. In order to get 4k @ 60hz I had to connect it mDP to DP (samsung spec).

After booting for first time, installed latest drivers, reboot, and when I started using windows / chrome I noticed an annoying flickering on the screen (really bad), lowered resolution and it stoped, tried hdmi - hdmi connection and also no flickering (but 4k @ 30hz), started to look for some solutions and found it might be solved with bios update, but before that I tried on a clean windows install just to be shure it wasn't a software problem (same thing) so I made a backup of BIOS and updated with latest one for this model on this page and for my surprise it worked, started windows againg and no flickering at 4k@60hz but then I tried to test the card on a game but every game (far cry 4, watchdogs, CoD Ghosts...) they all crashed with "driver stopped and recovered" and simmilar errors.
This is what I tried:

Checked temps and they are all under 45 degrees
latest mother bios
latest drivers
tried several bios (no luck!)

System Specs:

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5
i7 4771
8GB Corsair Vengeance
Thermaltake TR2 600W

What can I do? any thoughts? looks like there was a lot people having issues with this card and I can't think of returning it because I bought it on a trip to Canada (ncix).

Any help will be apreciated, Thanks!
Well it could be a few things depending but I can tell you a few problems I have had in a similar situation:

The Samsung monitor U28D590D and the Asus PB287Q share the same panel and for the most part are exactly the same in terms of the basic levels of specs and such (not including things like the interface, stands, etc just the bare level specs). With both of these monitors specifically there have been issues running on AMD cards (Specifically referenced on the R9 290/X cards. Though this maybe attributed because people bought more of these with the intentions of 4K) where any trying to run 4K 60hz has caused flickering and/or a black screen. I have experienced this problem on my Asus PB287Q and 290X's where setting above 30hz caused the monitor to flicker and fade to a black screen consistently. I went out and bought a better cable which did not alleviate the problem just changed the frequency/pace of the flickering. What it seems to be is something about the way the monitor refreshes causing an incapability on AMD cards though some people have gotten them to work which also leads me to think its the monitors firmware causing part of the problems.

Seeing now that your problem is crashing when trying to load up a game now that you have flashed the bios of the card and the 4K problem seems mostly resolved it would lead to another issue. What is likely is that there is a stability problem with the version of the bios you downloaded specifically in the clock settings/Vram settings and voltage. My advice to test if this is an issue is to go into CCC and bump up the voltage to like +10% and then try again to see if the same thing happens. If not try 20% and then see what happens. After that I would say try a fresh driver install to test the card and see what happens. If all that does not work flash the old bios back and lets go from there because its likely a bios stability issue at that point.

apopelka

Thanks for the fast answer!... So I just tried the voltage thing (from CCC, AmdOverdrive, is that ok?) and now the "driver stopped and recovered" is not appearing, but I get black screen on games. The cable I'm using its supposed to be high quality (CableMatters) and the flickering disappear on most the bios I tried, the only thing I noticed that the first time I flashed it took more time than afterwards flashings (maybe its just me). So, I'm gonna wait for more ideas and in the meantime I'll try it on another computer and see what happens, and try to sell it....
Also I think I'm kinda fucked up, because I can't find where I saved the original BIOS!! .

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
since when overdrive included voltage settings...

Anyway... RMA your card.

Patrice Forest

Hello, sorry for my bad English, I have exactly the same problem, very frequent, and the graphics card has been tested on other PC and the problem still. XFX sent me 4 graphics card with exactly the same flickering problem on the warranty, and of course I had to pay transport costs each time .......