• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Radeon HD 4870 1 GB BIOS Updater Bug Found

AgentGOD

System Name Xtreme Gaming
Processor i7 2600k @ 4.6 GHz, 1.45v (IntelBurnTest stable)
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4
Cooling Air. Xigmatek HDT-S1283
Memory 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Visiontek HD6950 @ 950/1375 MHz, 1.30v
Storage 2x Seagate 7200.11 500 GB + 1x WD 640 GB Caviar Black
Display(s) Sony 32" EX400
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi Fatal1ty
Power Supply Corsair AX-1200
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
I was personally curious as to what's different with XFX's ATI BIOS'es compared to the others, but I could not find anywhere to download a copy of the BIOS. So, I decided to look on XFX's own site, and download their "BIOS Update" for the HD 4870.

Here is where I got it from:

So I downloaded the "Windows" version of the updater.

Then I found that it did not have a BIOS file in the archive!

So I looked further with a Resource Editor. I found that the main flasher EXE file had a BIOS image embedded inside. But, to my surprise, it's NOT for RV770 (HD 4870)!

Look:

So then I found that several people are saying the BIOS update didn't work. This may be why.

In case anyone's curious, I've made a dump of the embedded BIOS file and uploaded it here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/204533022/RV410.bin.html

Source: XS

nafets

Well after all that work, you'll find out that XFX's HD4870 BIOSes are no better than any other HD4870 BIOS out there. At best it's just a copy of other widely available BIOSes, with just a different Subvendor ID.

From what I've seen, alot of them have been set incorrectly, with improper MEM clocks, leading to display flickering/flashing, no lowered 2D GPU/MEM clocks, etc. They don't even change/optimize any of the fan speed settings.

XFX is new to the ATI game, and they're still learning about ATI cards. Don't expect anything groundbreaking or new from them... :(