1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Radeon HD 6870 Smiles for the Camera

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean no backplate? Also what's with the avatar :D NICE :)
    nt300 and Lionheart say thanks.
  2. SNICK

SNICK New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

XFX RADON HD 6870 FRONT SHOT:D
    nt300 says thanks.
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Dammit, I hate that they put display conenctors across 2 slots. I only want them on the first slot, so I can go single with a FC block.
    nt300 says thanks.
  4. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Says there's no backplate which I prefer to have one, hides all the circuitry & makes it look neater:toast: and thanx, I like the avatar too, its HOT;)
  5. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You all appear to be grown ups having this conversation/debate, therefore can I ask that you act like grown ups and refrain from the childish personal attacks and just stick to your facts/experiences...... thank you!
    Super XP and nt300 say thanks.
  6. random

random

Thanks Received:
    looks hot! times like these I'm glad to be working, picking up 2 for some e-peen e-rection :rockout:
  7. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats why we need to move to DP asap, because right now DVI is too big for today multi monitor configuration
  8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Says the man with a monkey reading a magazine in his avatar.
    Tatty_One says thanks.
  9. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand what the talk of DP being "half ready" is about really. DP is like HDMI at the moment, but got the potential to go further due to it being free (more desirable) and having higher bandwidth (more future-proof). The only "half ready" thing out there is the market, as it's an emerging standard and not widely available.
    The multi-monitor issues are just that, Eyefinity issues; not DP issues. There was an article talking about how the software team over at ATi didn't know about Eyefinity until the last moment and so they had to scramble together drivers quickly, that's why it's buggy, not because of the DP.

EDIT: the potential that DP as a standard has, and has already brought in v1.2 is far more exciting than HDMI IMHO and I hope it replaces HDMI, the quicker the better, because I've found working with HDMI to bring about sub-par performance, although admittedly, I have very limited experience dealing with it.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
    cadaveca says thanks.
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, Apple has been using DP since 2008. I've been using it for ages with my macpro on my audio rig. Not a single problem.

I really wish I could put one of my 5870's in my mac...I wonder if the 6870 will be the first card to work on both?

As to DP and eyefinity, we are a year later, so they have had a year to work on drivers...or right...Eyefinity is HARDWARE-BASED, not software, so drivers have little effect.

Anyway, it's been a year, and I still have issues. I have issues when using DP alone, nevermind using multiple monitors...anyway, I think it's ME relating my problems, and what I think causes them, that has some people thinking that way. Nobody else, really, besides me, is tlaking about eyefinity as a problem. Mind you, I'm one of few people acutally using Eyefinity, so that's not surprising.

Crap. and I played BC2 with Reayth last night...forgot to ask what card he's got...
  11. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    A surprising statement from you since it was you that provided the link to the article:
    Source: Preventing Espionage at AMD: How The Eyefinity Project Came to Be
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but the problem that is left now is when the cursor is sent from one display to the next...for some reason it'll corrupt. I blame the hardware implentation for this...ATI just basically added DP onto the already-exisiting output design, rather than making it the main part, and i think this is the source of the problems. If it really was just driver problems, surely a year is long enough to fix it, right?

But they haven't.

The software behind Eyefinity revolves around making the multiple displays connected seen as a single large surface to windows, but when it comes down to actually un-muxing the big image down to each monitor, that's all hardware.

From the same article:

Now, admittedly, I am guessing here, but it really seems that ATI is guessing at hte cause as well, or else they'd have it fixed....

As well, these new cards have a new, different, DP implementation, and truly, they msut have made that chage specifically because of the outstanding issues.

I'd really love it if AMD would step up to the plate, give me a call, and get this problem I have fixed...but they truly seem to ignore me on this issue.
  13. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    You no want to wait for HD 6970, maybe HD 6870 go down in price :D Now I only ply Left 4 Dead 2, I like the new levels with the old survivors.
  14. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Nice looking gpu for sure! But I'm thinking I'll be holding onto my current gpu atm till I see some real drastic improvements in Benching.

The cut out on the back looks sweet though. + the pricing is in line with what one would expect. Going to make a nice stocking stuffer for X-Mas hmmm :p
  15. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    You mean real world performance right. Synthetic benching is OK, just want to make sure real world performance is a massive boost in performance.