1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Warranty Question

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Kantastic, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I'm about to trade my Gigabyte 5770 for an original XFX 5770 and would like to know how the warranty works. Let's say the original buyer did not register the card and it hasn't been 30 days of original purchase, and it won't be past the 30 day mark when it gets to me and I register it under my name and address. Will XFX warranty the card under my name/info as the first registered person under the card or do I have to get the original buyer to register it and then transfer it to myself?

2. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    You should be fine registering the card as yours, if they ask for proof of purchase and depending if that has the original owners details on it - you should still be fine. Look into the warranty registration process and you'll most likely find that you won't need proof of purchase.

Kantastic says thanks.
  3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, at worst, he can register it, and then transfer the warranty over to you, as you are in N/A. If you have to RMA, you'll need a copy of the receipt, but if he transfers the warranty over, this should not be an issue.

Kantastic says thanks.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I'd get him register it then get it passed to you as if some thing goes wrong with it they might want the invoice which will have his address on and they will post the replacement to him.

Kantastic says thanks.
  5. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Looks like I'll have to get him to register the card first, I was hoping if I ever sold the card I could transfer a warranty onto the next owner since it hasn't been 30 days yet, but it's a risk not worth taking. Thanks for the help guys.

Edit: Has anyone actually dealt with XFX and remember whether or not they required an invoice?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I have just recently(well, over the summer), and yes, they require an invoice from the original place of sale. They know who they sold the cards to, so...

Kantastic says thanks.
  7. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Gotcha, thanks a LOT for this. Now I know to have the original guy register it first before 30 days is up.

8. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    I didnt have an invoice but just put a note in the box saying where and a rough date when purchased... they by far were the easiest to rma .... from the time I sent it back till I got the new one was on the 7th day.... Do what I did and just call there 1-800 number and talk to a tec... just don't bs them...just tell them whats up and they'll will work with ya ;)

Kantastic says thanks.
  9. rewindlabs

rewindlabs New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't had to have proof of purchase to register my 4870 or 9800GT with XFX so i'd be surprised if they require proof of purchase for my RMA

If i where you i would just get the receipt from the first guy....worst case scenario you have to transfer the first warranty from yourself to well yourself

That way they surely won't require proof of purchase

Kantastic says thanks.
  10. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    XFX warranty is great you dont need proff of purchase when it asks where you bought it just putin other and youre good

Kantastic says thanks.
  11. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Another question: Does XFX warranty the card if I replace the heatsink?

12. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Nope, that would most likely void your warranty. Usually they put, "Void if removed." stickers over the screws or backing plate for the HSF.

Kantastic says thanks.
  13. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    yes they will as long as the factory one is but back on.

14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yes, they do. Just make sure not to do any physical damage when removing the heatsink, and replacing with new.

Sure, no need for receipt when registering the card, but when you have to send it in, they require the invoice.

link to RMA form:

ftp://xfxsupport.com/public/other/PCA_RMA_TC.pdf