• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX7970 Ghz edition is a beast!!! RECOMMENDED

System Name Project Evolv mATX V2
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Cooling AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory 32gb (4x8) G.SKILL 3200 C14 / 1T running at 3400
Video Card(s) Sapphire 6800XT Nitro
Storage Samsung 980 pro NVMe 2TB
Display(s) Dual Samsung 27" G50A's
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX in Silver
Audio Device(s) To many to list - generally a modified E-MU 0404 combined with a Project Ember for my desktop use
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
Software Win 11
Previously, I bought an XFX black edition 7970 and was ticked off XFX locked the voltage and overall the card was a poor overclocker IMO (ram was stellar but GPU was a bore). It also was very basic, did not even report much sensor wise via gpu-z. This was the new rev 3.1 board. Best I could get out of it was 1100/1700. Overall a revision that was a bean-counter mistake. NOT what a black edition card should have ever been. So ticked off at XFX, I tried out a GV-R797OC-3GD Gigabyte card. Guess what!? Voltage locked on the rev 2.0 PCB that was just released!!!! :banghead: The first card died within 30 minutes with no overclock. I asked for an RMA and received a replacement, This card also died, but a day and a half later with no overclock. UGH... Really? First gigabyte card and my last.

Finally I spotted reviews of a current card that was producing great numbers and did not look like a cheap plastic toy (sorry sapphire owners, I know your cards rock performance wise but wow they look and feel like junk when holding them side by side to the xfx) It is the current XFX Ghz edition. Ordered it up to give it a shot and mother of god, she is stellar! Stock voltage, it is rock stable at 1255/1700. Some have been reporting 1300/1700. Voltage is displayed and shows adjustable in afterburner but via gpu-z it does not look like it changes anything. However not worried as I am VERY pleased at 1255. Temps are also lower by 8C VS. the black edition xfx and FPS in heaven 3.0 with everything maxed went from 59 to 66 (both cards overclocked as far as they could go) Also my 3dmark11 scores on graphics went from around 9200ish - 10200ish

Overall HIGHLY recommended. Will post more on it later and benchmark results but this is a STELLAR card. Build quality is beautiful, and VRM cooling is interesting, it is integrated into the chassis of the card which is all aluminum and one piece cast. The only complaint one could have is the card is loud with a custom fan profile and fans ramped up but not a killer for me at all as I cannot hear it when playing games anyways.

XFX, I am thoroughly irritated with your black edition 7970 V3.1. This GHZ edition is everything the black edition should have been and should be!

Crazy clocks for a such a low voltage! I'm jealous!