• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Xigmatek Achilles CPU Cooler

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Dude, excellent choice on the fans. 185CFM!!!!! That is some serious wind power there. Imagine you could generate electricity with those? :roll:

Yeah, I noticed that about Sunbeamtechs version. I mean, I guess its why Xigmateks is a tad bit quieter, but still a pain in the rear end to put on. I think the next thing I go will be Water/TEC (If I get brave enough)

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Dude, excellent choice on the fans. 185CFM!!!!! That is some serious wind power there. Imagine you could generate electricity with those? :roll:

Yeah, I noticed that about Sunbeamtechs version. I mean, I guess its why Xigmateks is a tad bit quieter, but still a pain in the rear end to put on. I think the next thing I go will be Water/TEC (If I get brave enough)

I'm with you on the brave part... I still am thinking over water and what not... TO water this card its going to cast a fortune.. But, if I get that cooler, and those fans.. I might see a good change... Plus I'm thinking of Going 45nm... So this is way cheaper then water! lol

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Awesome review T_ski as always.

Did you find that the installation of the rubber fan holders into the fan itself a pain in the ass? When I got my HDTS 1283 in March and I went to put it together, that was the biggest pain for me. Getting the thin ends into the fan mounting holes. Other than that, it made great contact with my cpu. I did the same check you all do when you are doing your tests.

One major beef I have, and really caught on to yesterday, is when you mount the cooler, it doesnt have a way for you to mount it with the air blowing out the back of the case. With the cooler I have, its blowing down onto the bottom of the case, granted I have a fan attached on the outside of my window side to bring in fresh air (the original HDTS 1283 is too tall to have it on the inside) but that can only help so much, especially given I got one intake and one outtake fan (big gripe about the Sigma Luna W case.)

Other than that, this looks a tad better with flow, though it doesnt have the spoiler to direct some of the airflow on the mosfets and such.

No, I didn't think the rubber mounts were a pain, but this is the second go around I've head with them. BTW, the AMD bracket is the limiting factor in this one not being able to blow out the back, not so much as with the Xigmatek itself. With the mounting frame AMD uses, users are limited to out the back or up/down. If up/down is your only option, I would suggest up into the fan of the PSU (or into a blowhole fan if the PSU is located below the mobo.

Nice Review, but would have been nice if you had included other coolers than Intel stock? Its hard to compare?? For an example, I would want to know if it cools better than my current TR 120 Xtreme??

I appologize for the limited comparisons for this heatsink. I recently upgraded to a new motherboard and CPU, and I have not had a chance to test enough for comparison. However, Thermalright won't send samples to us anyway, so there's not much of a chance for a comparison to that heatsink unless one of the reviewers bought a TRUE with their own funds.

But you can look at the difference between this cooler and the stock one, then go to any other website that has a review of the TRUE and see the difference between that one and the stock.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
No, I didn't think the rubber mounts were a pain, but this is the second go around I've head with them. BTW, the AMD bracket is the limiting factor in this one not being able to blow out the back, not so much as with the Xigmatek itself. With the mounting frame AMD uses, users are limited to out the back or up/down. If up/down is your only option, I would suggest up into the fan of the PSU (or into a blowhole fan if the PSU is located below the mobo.

I appologize for the limited comparisons for this heatsink. I recently upgraded to a new motherboard and CPU, and I have not had a chance to test enough for comparison. However, Thermalright won't send samples to us anyway, so there's not much of a chance for a comparison to that heatsink unless one of the reviewers bought a TRUE with their own funds.

But you can look at the difference between this cooler and the stock one, then go to any other website that has a review of the TRUE and see the difference between that one and the stock.

I can't believe that Thermalright won't send you any review samples... Dang it man! But I do like the review and you sir have made me spend another 100 dollars to just play with! lol

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
@Cold, true dat, true dat. TEC will be expensive, but I dont think Ill need to go that extreme (or phase change for that matter) seeing as even the 9850 wont clock that high.

@t_ski, yeah well the first time did ya have problems with it, or are you really adept with your fingers? ::roll::
I took my side panel off and did a little cleaning, and thank God I have a brain. I have the Xigmatek fan blowing up into the PSU, so it has a place to push to air to. Coincidentally enough, my side fan that I had to put on the outside of the Window side panel, is blowing right on the cooler. Its an 80mm fan so its like in the perfect spot to cool of the cooler which probably explains my temps idling around 32C!

And it does suck that Thermalright is so snobbish. I mean, TPU is a very important forum for reviews, news and help. Its in just about every pc magazine, download site (CNN Download.com, etc.) They need to send a sample or two.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Does anyone else notice how horribly the motherboard flexes while using the push-pins?! The heatsink (I think it cools vrm's) located at the top of the motherboard is rendered useless. I have no idea how you think the push-pins were easy to install. Your Intel heatsink installing wisdom far surppasses mine.:toast:

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
today we see too much fan's , very good fan's , but i think time of use fan's become short, new pc parts are overheat specially when use overclock , so one after one go for water cool , which is best solution right now, sure someday water cool will be not enough too, or company's doing some change for low temperature

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Does anyone else notice how horribly the motherboard flexes while using the push-pins?! The heatsink (I think it cools vrm's) located at the top of the motherboard is rendered useless. I have no idea how you think the push-pins were easy to install. Your Intel heatsink installing wisdom far surppasses mine.:toast:

Oh, my God do I hate push Pins... And the worst part about this cooler is the fact that the bracket system won't even work on it all! That really "Grind My Gears"....