1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP Boot HDD taken from Failed MB - Get Files?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sasqui, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    So, I've got a 3+ yr old Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 (Damn, I never realised I went 3 yrs on the same MB!!!).

Well yesterday, it died. Won't go into details, but it'd DEAD.

I have many files and saved games on the boot disk, it's NTFS and most files in user account folders.

What to do to get those files...? The disk is good and I have the passwords.

2. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    What I recommend is to put it into a external enclosure and get your files off.

They will show up as if you went into c:

documents and settings > users > Acccount 'x', ect.

3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    It is a HDD. Your mobo failing should not effect the drive unless it was accessing those files when it died. Simply put, once you replace the board, boot from a Live disk or another HDD, then copy the files to your storage array or external or what have you. Reinstall the OS and games and such on your new boot disk and put those files back in the same location. Should have a few hiccups, but nothing major.

REMEMBER YOUR STEAM SAVE FILES ARE NOT IN MY DOCUMENTS. I have to replay through 40+ of games cause I missed that. Enjoyed it, but still.

4. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    Steam saves are stored here :

Program Files > Steam > Steamapps > Saves

5. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Haven't tried pluggin it into the newly thrown together rig to try it... have plenty of SATA ports to plug in.

My main concern was NTFS/XP security for "my documents", and the files under "C:\Documents and Settings"... The computer has mutiple secure accounts, and I think I have to boot from the drive and be logged into properly get to them?

6. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    nope just go to the user accounts they should still contain all the files you need.

I used to crash old systems and back up peoples drives by putting it into my PC and searching it for any pics and other non replaceable items, game files and such will be the same.

7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    yea, here I am asking questions when I should just try it.

I guess I'm still traumatized by the death of my DQ6 board... :shadedshu

8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It happens, just be glad you still have the old info, and just didnt format the drive in the haste to get it back up;)

TheLaughingMan says thanks.
  9. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Worst case scenario, you miss something whey you are getting the system back up and you have to reconnect the drive once or twice to get files you missed. My mistake was I almost immediately wiped my drive with a security program to sell it to a friend. So I have to play through HF2, Batman AA, L4D1, Assasin's Creep 1 all over again.

Oh and I just noticed my Folding banner just appeared. Go TPU Team

10. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Just as I suspected... :shadedshu Can't access the Document and Settings for some users on HDD unless I've booted from it and logged in as the user - in this case myself...

Next step boot the old HDD on a different computer in safe mode, with fingers crossed.

11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Only way to get the files was to boot directly from the HDD & log into my account in safe mode. Copied all the files I needed to a folder under root, including "My Documents", which was not accessible when the drive was plugged in as a secondary.

12. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If you are using XP Pro or XP Pro x64 Edition (not on the drive, your current OS you are using) and logged in as an administrator, you can claim ownership of those orphaned files and thusly gain access to them no matter what user account they were originally under. I'm not sure if Vista Pro+ or 7 Pro+ can do the same or not.

Basically, just get a computer up and running, plug that HDD in to a functional computer, and start copying (claiming ownership when necessary).

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:

Attempting access to the proected user folder simply gives a dialog "Error - Access Denied"

There is no option to "claim ownership" that I've ever seen or heard of.

14. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Sasqui and dr emulator (madmax) say thanks.
  15. Helper

Helper New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is all wrong, you don't need to do any of these. You can just boot it up normally because you go though similar Intel ICHs and northbridges. I went from my P965 mainboard to X38 and 975X chipset motherboards and they all booted up without giving me a bluescreen. I'm not saying that it will always boot up, but there is a high chance. In both cases, a "Windows Repair Install" is what needs to be done to make it work like it used to.

16. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
  17. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I read though it and it makes sense... at this point, I don't need to try it. Busy shuffling HDD's & Data around and installing software.

After this, I'll probably have a few HDDs for sale, LOL :roll: