1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP install after Win7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by jmcslob, Apr 9, 2010.

1. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone know of a way to install XP as a second OS

I have Win7x64 installed on my primary Partition and would like to install XP on the secondary partition without screwing up the Boot.mngr
    Any suggestions?

Or should i just give up and install Vista 32 on the second partition? since it wont screw up the Boot log
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    as a general rule it's better to do it the other way around. i'm not sure if W7 introduced anything different but in the past all you had to do was edit the boot.ini to reflect both possible entries, then you get a prompt when booting to choose one.

that being said, idk if it is that way anymore, and i would recommend waiting for some more solid information before risking anything.
    jmcslob says thanks.
  3. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Oh no seems I've done this before and i had to create a third partition and install Win7 on it to fix the bootlog (I sure am glad i keep notes) and then delete the 3rd partition..

But that was before i went RAID0...

I don't believe I have that option now....

unless anyone has a better idea....

I just need a 32bit OS for older games...and OC'ing tests
    But next to XP all I have is Vista Enterprise 32...
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    As Dig said, Install XP 1st or you could install it to a different drive but disable the HDD that has Vista on it untill XP is installed fully.
    jmcslob and digibucc say thanks.
  5. wrathchild_67

Thanks Received:
    jmcslob says thanks.
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    If you can work out the details needed you could add it to XP's startup so you would have both options @ boot.

What i would try is what i said and to disable the drive with Vista on it and install XP on another. Reconnect the other drive making sure the XP install boots 1st.

Once in XP edit the boot.ini file ( in Startup and Recovery ) and to add the vista to it. Then reboot and test. And there be no reason to edit the XP boot.ini or modify the vista install so minimum risk.