1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP machine needed new mobo, cpu. bsod when loading os - please help!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by human_error, Jan 9, 2009.

1. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,

I'm in a bit of difficulty with a friends' machine - it was an old amd duron rig with 256mb ram running windows xp and they needed it to run some modern apps needing slightly higher specs but on a low, LOW budget.

I put in an AMD athlon 5000, 2gb ddr2 800 ram, a new am2+ mobo and a new psu, plugged it all in and needed to re-use the old hdd with their install of windows (OEM install and they nor I have any XP disks plus they are bad keeping install disks for their apps and whatnot).

So after putting it all together i booted the machine and as soon as the HDD kicked in (no sign of a windows xp loading screen, litterally as soon as the bios passed over to the hdd) i got a bsod. I then went and plugged the hdd into my main rig in my sig (it's an old ide hdd) and started the machine up booting from my main hdd and am able to access the hdd with xp on fine, ran hd tune health check, no issues found, all sectors seem good, so i thought maybe the bsod is from a bad cable/doa mobo. Tried to boot my machine up from the xp hdd and again straight away i get a bsod. I have also tried booting in safe mode from the hdd, again i get a bsod but it takes a little while to bsod, after it has started loading up drivers.

I don't know what i should do - i thought if i put xp onto a new cpu/mobo without reinstall it would just bitch, require re-activation and need a registry mod to enable multi-core cpu support, not bsod as soon as it tries to load. In the old cpu/mobo it would run fine so im not sure why it wont work now - any ideas on what i can do to try and get the hdd to boot xp?

2. Silverel

Silverel

Thanks Received:
    OS's generally don't like mass hardware changes. Typically you can get away with one or two new components at a time, but a full system rebuild to different architecture is essentially causing it to call up drivers that just have no compatibility at all.

You're gonna need to reinstall afaik.

human_error says thanks.
  3. stanhemi

stanhemi New Member

Thanks Received:
    You need to reinstall your os.New mobo,no other choice.

human_error says thanks.
  4. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Re-install windows XP from boot - it should keep the old settings and will work 99% of the time.

oh yea, remember to use repair a previous installation.

human_error says thanks.
  5. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice guys, downloading an xp iso now (don't worry, not illegal as i have a valid xp key). Last time i did some upgrading for an xp machine was new mobo (same socket) and going from athlon 64 to athlon 64 x2 processor and all that needed was a re-activation, though i guess since it was same architecture it didn't matter as much...

6. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    CD-keys differ depending on what kind of windows install CD you have - I made that mistake after i formatted my friends sony laptop :(

human_error says thanks.
  7. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Hmm thanks for the warning (i'd start to panic if the legit key suddenly didn't work without prior warning :p ), i'm just burning the disk now - if it doesn't work i'll just use one of the spare MSDNA xp liscences i have (or maybe give them free vista, bepends how generous i'm feelin...)

8. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I just used a WGA crack, my friend had a genuine install and a genuine Key, but M$ with their copy protection bullshit wouldn't let them work with a more recent install CD. No point in using a spare licence for something that's already been paid for. You could always drop them an e-mail.
    PM me if the CD-key doesn't work and you need a "fix" without using up another licence.

9. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
  10. 2wicked

2wicked

Thanks Received:
    I bet you didn't set the hard disk controller driver back to the windows standard driver before changing the motherboard.
    If it's a dell or hp ect. the cd key on the case will only work with an oem xp disk and the current install is not using the key on the case it would be tied to the oem motherboard bios code(SLP).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    human_error says thanks.