1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP no longer supported as of April 8 2014 (LOL)

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Sasqui, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I feel like they've said they were going to do that before, then didn't. Eh...haven't used it in forever, so won't miss it much.

3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I still use XP on a single machine at work (because it has a Phenom X3 on an AM2NF3-VSTA with a 3850 AGP, and XP x86 is the only modern OS with a good GART driver for nForce 1-3 chipsets). As nostalgic as it is to use it (and it supports my pile of ancient sound blasters I've pulled out of junk rigs) it takes forever to boot and is generally anemic as far as responsiveness goes, even with a decent 160GB drive.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    Windows XP... the PlayStation 2 of operating systems. Or was the PlayStation 2 the Windows XP of consoles?

Either way, I'm sure Microsoft and all the XP haters can't wait until that day finally comes. Despite all of Microsoft's efforts to get people and businesses off XP, they haven't been successful in killing off the now zombie-like OS. Doubt much will change, be it grognard holdouts or companies running old software/hardware. I've seen companies still running Windows 98.

5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah its been a while and xp have run longer than its era
    but i have to say although it said like that xp will last longer, yeah just say about 1 or 2 more years

6. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Good by old friend...

7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I would like to work at MS tech support that day, just for the inevitable party. Also to be able to say NO to old ladies with ancient troublemakers for Computers.

Aquinus says thanks.
  8. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    People who remain on XP post this date will essentially be screwed. The amount of day 1 hacks people will be sitting on, waiting for MS to stop supporting it so their exploits wont be patched out is going to be amazing. Any business that remains on XP is going to get a little shock i expect.

9. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    This is no BS...I have a A8 5600K I plan to put in to a FM2 matx board to put in to my Antec NSK 1300 to live it's days as an XP Pro machine. I have quite a few old games I don't want to give up, like the 1st Colin McRae Rally, Blade Of Darkness, Metal Gear Solid PC games, etc. The FM2 boards support XP, and with the APU I will be in business with a low watt XP nostalgia machine. If I keep it off the net it should be good to go...forever. :toast:

Sasqui says thanks.
  10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    My 70+ year old grandmother is using Windows 8 (with start8). If she can manage with it I think anyone ought to be able to migrate away from XP. Really using both XP systems (my parents) and W7 systems (my own... go figure) they're not that different. People get so hung up on the idea that was floating around when Vista first came out... zomg Windows 7 uses so much resources XP is a bagillion times faster than 7. That's just not true. I got a single core 1.8ghz laptop running 7 and it's not sluggish at all. People think it's going to take a half hour for their C2D 775 systems to load 7 and it just isn't that way.

Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Try it with 512MB RAM, which a lot of computers with Vista had. Even 256MB.

12. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ram is cheap nowadays. No reason to get 2gb of DDR2, they cost about the same as delivery from Ebay.

13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Cheap and getting more expensive (artificially I might add...).

Yup, and if you boot a machine with 512Mb of ram, you'll find that it won't use more than 128-256Mb on boot (after a clean install.) Windows 7 is really good about knowing how much it should load up. The OS isn't dumb enough to just fill memory with Windows.

I feel that the performance on Windows 7 on older machines is pretty good IMHO. Even Windows 8 runs pretty well on older machines. I have a machine at work with an old Pentium dual-core in it (1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo Pentium with 1Gb of RAM,) and Windows 8 runs surprisingly well, and I bet it's only because of how slow the hard drive it.

14. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    I got one of those nostalgia machines too... I have some software that simply wont run on Win 7 so not much choice.

15. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    IPX network protocol FOREVER! :rockout:
    windows 7 removed my hope of playing Red Alert 2 online
    Then Tunngle was invented and allowed me to play LAN games over the virtual network that supported IPX...

16. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, grandma isn't why XP is still around.

The biggest problem is that companies purchased systems specifically designed for windows XP a decade ago. The introduction of Vista and 7 didn't phase these companies, because their systems still worked just fine on XP. Capital investment to make these programs functional on a new OS was deemed foolish, as there was no way to financially justify it. As a legacy program gets older, changing to a modern OS costs more and more. MS continued to support XP, so nobody had a reason to change.

MS killing XP will cost companies quite a pretty penny, but I'm betting that there will be plenty of new companies that pop-up and provide extended service to XP. As companies already have service contracts with MS, it won't cost substantially more to bring in another service company. The question is how long XP can remain a zombie, and how long until companies invest in modernizing their software.

XP is dying on the consumers' side. XP is going to live on the business side. Now, XP is a patient that just won't give up. As of 2014 XP will be a zombie. XP is dead, long live XP!