1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP Pro 64 or Vista Ultimate 64?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by farid, May 4, 2008.

1. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heya all, I got a new gaming PC but dont know which OS should I install, I got XP Pro 64-bits w/ SP2 and Vista Ultimate 64-bits, lot of ppl told me to stick with XP and I rly like XP, but a friend tolds me that XP 64-bits has a lot of driver issues. Which one is better? Click on system spec under my name to see my rig :p

Thx for the help!
  2. wolf2009 Guest

i have vista 64-bit , not a single problem till now .
  3. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    XP Pro 64 = DX9 and excellent perforomance
    Vista Ultimate 64 = DX10.1 , memory lackers, and decent performance

In my opinion XP 64 is the best but consider running games like crysis or CoD4 then Vista answers your questions.
    farid says thanks.
  4. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Vista is the future
    farid says thanks.
  5. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Vista has come a long way since its release. With your rig and monitor you shouldn't see a performance difference between XP vs. Vista, so go with whatever you like better. I've had no problems at all with Vista 64, so I recommend it if you're willing to take the plunge.
    farid says thanks.
  6. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    So Vista is gonna be lol, thx a lot guys :respect:
  7. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's no way I'd touch Windows XP x64 at this point. Too little, too late.
    farid says thanks.
  8. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    have fun and keep us informed how it goes.
  9. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith

Thanks Received:
    I say Vista x64. Why?? because the OS currently has more support than XP x64 in the market. Plus i think Microsoft announced that they are dropping support for XP this year.
    farid says thanks.
  10. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Definitly Vista not only is gaming improved to were its on par with xp ya get dx10 too.
    farid says thanks.
  11. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    Vista FTW!
    farid says thanks.
  12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my vote goes for vista. XP64 is going to get forgotten soon enough by driver manufacturers, such as how tri SLI and crossfireX only work on vista.
    farid says thanks.
  13. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still waiting for the download to complete, my internet is downloading @12 Kb/s and dont know why :banghead:
  14. hooflung64 New Member

Thanks Received:
    XP PRO 64 is Windows 2k3 Server without the server bits. The only thing lacking in XP PRO 64 is making sure your drivers are fine ( not a problem with Nvidia or ATI video cards and chipsets ) and the lack of DX10.

For todays games the lack of DX10 is hovering around pointless. However, when games are actually made to use the Geometry shaders then everything will change and Vista will prove itself.

That being said, I have MSDN so all my OS's are free and I have all the ISOs. I use Vista 64 on two of my machines without any problems. I have 2 machines with 4Gig ram and was using Vista 64 on one, and Ubuntu 7.10 64 on the other. Now that Ubuntu 8.04 comes with Wubi, both are running Vista 64 as the main OS and have Ubuntu installed through Wubi and everything runs flawless.

If you do your research on your drivers for chipset, sound and graphics and see XP Pro 64 drivers and you don't use crazy USB peripherals with horrid support or no support for XP PRO 64 then you will be 100% satisfied. It will be supported as long as 2k3 Servers is supported becaue they use the same exact code base and even share the same exact service pack install packages. But Vista 64 is also fine, and its prettier ( which is why I ultimately went with Vista 64 ).
    Kei and farid say thanks.
  15. farid

farid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im using XP SP3 atm and im having sum issues with my video card drivers the 174.74 throws me a blue screen error on startup so... I dont know lol... Gonna try Vista 64 soon to see what happens...
  16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I have used both XP 64 and am currently using Vista Ult x64, I like Vista better, probably mostly due to support. Both are very stable, quick and get the job done. But Vista will continue to get updated support, where-as XP64 has kinda been left in the corner, for some that's fine. I chose to go the newer route, and I am happy because of it.

Both are good OS's, but in the x64 realm, I do prefer Vista after my last month or two experience with it (Thanks to Solaris17's recommendation I try it!).

:toast:
    farid says thanks.
  17. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It is derived upon the Windows 2003 Server codebase but it isn't the same thing, as if that's even a good thing. There is severe lack of driver support and it has the same future as Windows XP (32-bit) does against Windows Vista...none.

Dual booting with Ubuntu? Don't get me started. :rolleyes: