1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP/SP3 -> To Win 7 or Win 8

Discussion in 'General Software' started by pepsi71ocean, Oct 19, 2012.

1. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been thinking about upgrading windows for a while, since its almost EOL from what i know of it makes me wonder if the OS is finally dead.

Im not sure on what to do since im running XP, i am used to the look and well its XP, i have been running this OS type since 2002 ish even though i have since went to XP-SP3.

I was thinking that Win7 will drop in price after Win 8 comes out, but then again newegg gave me an introductory price for Win 8 at like 60-or 70 dollars.

At such a cheap price i have begun to think about making the jump. Actually i started thinking about it about a month ago, when i helped my friend build a new computer. He is running a cracked version of windows that turns out couldn't be registered, and i laughed because i expect that from his kind of luck, but for me i was thinking because XP is getting old and im not sure about how it is holding up in the security department.

One of the concerns i have already is that supposedly you have to buy Windows media player? And then i heard its not that good? is that comparing backwards to WMP 11, like for XP?

Any thoughts?
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I would just download the windows 8 preview and test it out, if you like it then hop on that but if metro turns it off for you then I would suggest windows 7 X64 home premium
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Honestly just go with windows7 64 bit.
  4. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7.
  5. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you have all the drivers and such you need for Windows 8 and give it a try. If all your games and stuff work ok on it then I suggest you go to it. If your update window is every 6 or so years (going from XP to today) I think you should go with the latest OS release.
  7. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Windows 8 to try it out, download and install a third party program that gives the Start button and menu back.
  8. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    If your gonna do this u might as well just get 7 which will drop in price when 8 releases..

8 has a vista feel to it, aka its gonna flop.
  9. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I'd say go for Windows 8 if you actually try it for a few days and feel you like it. I would only upgrade to Windows 7 as a last resort, as I feel that upgrading to something that is already being replaced seems stupid considering Windows 8 isn't "bad" (although it seems loads of people disagree because *omg fullscreen start menu* that can be changed via 3rd party tools, or they read blog posts by uninformed people from a year ago or they are resistant to change and complain every single time MS releases a new OS).

Personally, I use Windows 8 on my laptop and have enjoyed the month of using it so far. My desktop is on Windows 7 still as I haven't prepared to migrate it to 8 yet, but I would like to upgrade it soon. Maybe AMD's less than great drivers will run better on Windows 8 since it has a new Windows Display Driver Model that has some improvements over WDDM 1.1 that Windows 7 uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model#History
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    I tried the windows 8 build thats available and I thought it was a step backwards from 7.
    Phusius says thanks.
  11. irlandezul

irlandezul

Thanks Received:
    Win7 for now , and wait for compatible drivers for win8 .
  12. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I prefer Windows 7 at this point. We messed around with Windows 8 as well as Server 2012 at work and we don't much care for them.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you guys think win7 will drop in price by much? being it sounds like win8 is a dud
  14. irlandezul

irlandezul

Thanks Received:
    Maybe the price will drop , but you will have to wait several month for that ...