1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP works but not Vista???

Discussion in 'General Software' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Oct 19, 2008.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    So I cant figure this one out.

Yesterday i had to rebuild 3 out of 4 computers in my house because they all decided to take a shit at the same time for some reason. They are all long stories so I wont get into that. Anyway, I got 2 out of the 3 reinstalled yesterday but for some reason my brothers computer is giving me problems. I used to run Vista on his computer fine with out any issues before but for some reason the install process is just not taking. I can get to the point where I have to format the drives and then it copies all the files over. When it reboots for the first time it gets to the Windows boot screen and just blue screens right there and I cant go any further.

I tried a different disc. Same problem. Tried putting in XP x64 and it works just fine. :wtf:

Why wont the Vista install take?

His computer:

OCZ 600w
    Antec 900
    Intel Q6600 (my old CPU)
    EVGA 680i SLI motherboard A1 revision
    G.Skill 4x1GB DDR2-800
    BFG 8800GTS 320MB (i think doesnt really matter. Xazax would know since its his:laugh:)

Think thats the only thing that matters. If not let me know and ill fill in the blanks.

Ideas?
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    install the SATA drivers.

Copy them onto a flash drive and use the "load driver" option on the screen where you format in the vista installer.
  3. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Shouldnt have to. Vista has native SATA support. If anything, Id need to do that with XP and I dont have to.
  4. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    its not that it has native sata support, moreso that its generic drivers sometimes fail and cause corruption.

Trust me, i've fixed a few systems with this problem already. (Mostly dell laptops)
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Vista SHOULD have native support, but I've found when installing under ACHI mode on some PC's, Vista will crap out and not install...or give issues/errors. Best way I've found on these rigs is to change to ACHI mode after installing with SATA compatability on IDE mode. Works like a charm on XP and Vista...I dunno if that's your problem or not, but if it is, I can give ya a link on how to do it, very easy in Vista and you can then swap between IDE and ACHI SATA modes w/o any issues.

:toast:
    Mussels says thanks.
  6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    thanks for backing me up kursah.

If you install the drivers during the formatting/installing process, it tends to work just fine - installing in IDE compatibility mode and then swapping to AHCI later is annoying to do.
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:

NP, you are right, but you're also wrong Mussels to a small extent, it's actually VERY easy to do in Vista to get ACHI running...a quick registry edit, restart, set to ACHI in bios, restart, install Intel Matrix Storage Manager and voila...ACHI on command.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=894370&postcount=2

Take a quick read, it's a pretty damn painless operation that takes less time to do than many realize. I've done this version and install with ACHI enabled (on builds where vista's drivers don't crap out, and I can then replace said driver with the newer version), and have found no negative effects to the operation or performance of the system, nor any difference from doing either method.

8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i've done it before too... i didnt say it was HARD, i just said it was annoying.

Oh and FYI, the two biggest bonuses to AHCI mode are Hot swap and NCQ :)
  9. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah, those are the only bonuses and really hot swap is probably the better bonus, NCQ sounds good on paper, doesn't seem to make a huge difference in the real world at least for what I use my PC for. But I figure what the hell, might as well use it. :D

A quick change to a registry file for ACHI support when having issues and not having drivers available during install is a lifesaver to some tho mussells...I try to be prepared, but now I don't worry about it with a fix that is so quick and easy the annoyance of it is really minor. It's all good though, because people have options, the best way is like you put it, but there's no big deal to doing it with a quick edit and restart either, which is a plus in my mind.

10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Yeah sata drivers didnt work either. I said the hell with it and just put XP x64 on.

Thanks anyway.
  11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    well damn. quite an odd problem then.
  12. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    pull 2 of the sticks of ram..install vista with 2GB do all updates put the other 2 back in let me know how it goes iv got money on it works ;)
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  13. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Not formatting again.