1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XS member builds a 100k PPD farm

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by [Ion], Oct 12, 2010.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yep, 100k.

I haven't decided if I'm going to participate
    I did

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What the heck? :confused: what are the details of the challenge?

3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    They're having a challenge Nov1-8 where they're asking everyone to join WCG and see if they can manage the best PPD they can. I think they've emailed it out to everyone....PM me your email and I'll forward it to you ;)

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. twilyth Guest

I haven't read all the comments and I don't mean to piss anyone off, but unless you were going to piss away the $5-10k (or more?) that just the chips cost you, I don't get the point. I have OCD so I understand about compulsions - the kind that you really don't have a lot of control over - and even I don't understand this sort of behavior.

If you've got the money to burn, and burning it is what floats your boat - hey, no problem here. Free country, yada, yada. But I really don't get it.

5. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Not sure how rich this guy could have been, but if I had 10k to spare I would waste it on a farm, why not? Just my two cents of course.

6. ebolamonkey3

ebolamonkey3 New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
  8. twilyth Guest

I agree. That's part of what I was trying to say - if that's what you like and what you're passionate about, that's great. Personally, I would have a few other things on my list before that, but then most people would probably have the same opinion of my "priorities".

I didn't mean to judge, but just to say as someone who is already a few standard deviations from the mean as to what is considered "normal", I still have a hard time with it. That doesn't make it good or bad, just strange - and as I said, that's coming from someone who, by my own admission, is already pegging a lot of folks' strange-o-meter. :toast:

9. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Well of course, priorities are priorities. I thought you meant you wouldn't do it regardless. Yeah if I had things to take care of then no, but if I didn't boy would it be cool to do something like this. :)

However, If I were to do this, I'd put them all on air. Probably less than buying a water block for each board, etc. Good air cooler and that's it with a fan blowing on the components. I'd have the room air conditioned, sure he has money to do that if he bought all of that.

10. Flak

Thanks Received:
    I live in the midwest and see a noticeable increase in my energy bill when I fold for a solid month with just an i7, 9550 and 6600 (hence the many breaks the wife makes me take).... I'd be able to afford these machines he has, but the month to month cost would kill me.

streetfighter 2 says thanks.
  11. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Holy hell that's my opinion exactly, less the part about being able to afford the machines.

I've got quite a few computers, most of them aren't that old and I used to be active in several distributed computing projects but power prices have skyrocketed near me and I can't afford it any more. When I turn this puppy up to 100% she churns out 250W and thats just one computer! I have several I could be running and all said and done they cost around $80 a month. For that price it's actually cheaper for me to rent a server for $80/month and get twice the "PPD" per dollar that I can do on my own.

12. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I sure would too, that would be awesome! :rockout:
    I've seen that over at OCN....at his peak, he was doing ~250k PPD for FAH :eek: :respect:

Crunching for Team TPU