1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Yellowish colors towards the top of the LCD

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by Ozpa, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone!

I've just bought an Asus VS248H today and it's a fine monitor, but I have a problem that the colors. It seems like the bottom half side is ok, white is white, but towards the top of the screen the white becomes yellowish-white. Now I remember I seen this before somewhere.

Btw, the SPLENDID presets on the monitor are really bright/contrasty and the yellow doesn't come out when I use them, but they are WAY too bright for my eyes. The lower I make brightness/contrast the more yellow I see towards top.

What is this yellow color and how to remove it? :/

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Return the monitor for a different one. Yours is defective.

Ozpa says thanks.
  3. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Is this a common/known fault on LCDs?

4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yup, it's bad, return it.

Ozpa says thanks.
  5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    if you call the manufacturer they may call it a "feature."

Ozpa says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Haha, I'm using 3 LCDs daily at work/home and none have that sepia-like tint towards top :<

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    return them, the backlight is crap

Ozpa says thanks.
  8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    No.

Ozpa says thanks.
  9. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Going to update my story so far if anyone's interesed :p

Well the monitor was sent to an official Asus tech center - no faults were found. I dragged it back home and same problem. Today I got a completely new/another monitor and same yellowish colors towards top as before..

I'm starting to believe that it's just how LED LCDs are.. well it shows the color go yellowish the higher the point (you're looking at) above your eyes. So even the bottom taskbar can get yellowish if I lower my head on it's level (or better below it). Is this just a problem with all LEDs? Anything above your eye-level goes yellow. It's not THAT yellow, but it's distracting enough, I'm starting to believe I have OCD too haha.

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, it's not normal. Perhaps you should provide a picture of what you're talking about. :)

11. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Can you take a picture of it for us to see?

I use 3 LED-lit acer 23" monitors with no yellowing anywhere. In fact, these have a slight blue to them (Which I like for most things, like working in word since the white background can be blindingly bright)

12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    DVI cable bad? I booted my PC this morning to have a green line down the right hand side. I smacked the top of the monitor and it went away.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    I will take a photo as soon as my gf brings me her camera in a few days. The color is not yellow but something really close to sepia. The lower I lower my head below the monitor the stronger/darker sepia everything on the screen gets. If I look at the screen from above then the colors are correct.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  14. Bambooz

Bambooz New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only time I've seen a yellow tint on an LCD panel it was caused by moisture which somehow got into the LCD panel (more specifically the backlight diffuser layers behind it).

In my case the bottom right of the LCD had a pretty bad yellow tint to it. The metal frame of the LCD panel itself actually had rust splotches on it.
    This kinda damage isn't fixable, even if you go to the extreme of taking the actual LCD panel apart, trying to clean the backlight diffuser sheets by hand (been there, done that)

The above case was a used 24" 1920x1200 Acer fix-up project (had bad capacitors and wouldn't fire up at all). Not sure how the panel damage happened, but I guess it got wet during shipping or something.

Get yours RMA'd. It's defective. Period. If Asus refuses to replace it, it's yet another case of their "excellent customer support".. in other words: there is no support.

@brandonwh64: a solid line of lit pixels usually means bad LCD panel. The tab bonds (where the flex cables meet the actual glass panel) are coming loose, causing randomly lit/unlit lines or rows because the pixels don't get control signals. No way to fix it properly. Just temporary solutions.

15. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm I wonder if viewsonic will RMA?

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    I tried another DVI cable and I tried connecting it to my gfs laptop via VGA cable - the same.

17. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Definately NOT normal, I would push for RMA. It took almost 2 full year's to get my RMA replacement Xonar card from them and they still wont offer me ANY support for it. This was my last build using Asus product's.

18. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your monitor or the replacement other than it is an inexpensive panel with an inexpensive backlight--can't really be anything else if another monitor with the same model had the same problem. If the other monitors that you have are a different model than the one you are having trouble with and you like them more, it's probably just a display that you don't care for.

19. Bambooz

Bambooz New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're able to reproduce it somehow (so in the end, they can too) I'd give it a shot.
    If it's an intermittant problem, it could get pretty hard to prove..

20. AhokZYashA

AhokZYashA

Thanks Received:
    is it me or looking at TS's post there

I think it's just the case of a shallow vertical viewing angle,
    @Ozpa : try to look at the top of the screen at eye level is it still yellow?

digibucc says thanks.
  21. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Top of the screen at eye level is almost ok, a little higher and it's great. I may believe this is just bad viewing angles, but why is it that bad? I would understand if I looked at higher than 30 degrees angle but this is almost ridiculous. This is my first LED, maybe that's why it's so evident for me?

P.S. would anyone recommend anything in particular to calibrate your monitor?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  22. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Does it look like this:
    [​IMG]

If so, it is a common problem and is defective. If it looks like this, tell ASUS to pull their finger out of their arse and RMA it. No company should send one of these back claiming it's "fine".

Of course, we are in desperate need of a pic of yours...

23. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Depending on the type of monitor and the viewing angle, I've seen similar. I've been through many laptops and LCD screens, there are some that are good at a large vertical vewing angle range, and some that are not.

I have a samsung tv/monitor that is horrible when viewed from any angle below horizontal, the screen washes out, worse top to bottom

It's especially bad when closer to a monitor (due to an effect known as Parallax). So the question begs... is it better when you are further away from the monitor, or looking at it from below, or above?

24. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    Oh no no, it's not that visible and strict. This must be just poor angles viewablity that's all... although very distracting compared to my old LCD.

25. Ozpa

Thanks Received:
    After 6+ hours of calibrating I finally have the colors I like. I have to say the Splendid presets are all horrible (too bright mostly). They've offered me to have another monitor so I will probably go for a completely different brand now. Anyone want to recommend something in particular in 24 inches? Most importantly it should be fast since I do game FPSs and Street Fighter (where pressing a button at the right frame is crucial).

Oh btw, I've been reading about LED technology disadvantages, not sure how true this is, but it sounds much like the problem I have (pasted from here):

What you guys think? Is LED really the best option these days?
    I used to think LED meant cheaper, better picture quality and less power consumption.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012