1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Yes, its another new build thread!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by fryup, Oct 12, 2008.

1. fryup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, yes sorry this is yet another new build question!
    Been planning an upgrade for a while but keep being put off by the new i7’s due out sometime, however i think im correct that ive heard their gonna be released at start of Nov (maybe that’s just a naive wish thou!?
    Anyway, not planning on going that route but waiting for the hopefully associated price cuts for existing cpu’s etc. I want a fairly high end machine and am planning to use it for gaming, photoshop, 3dsmax and video editing, im also planning to moderately overclock. Im in UK and aiming for under the £1000 mark which these parts achieve, any cost saving ideas would be appreciated thou! So below is what I’m planning on buying in a few weeks time if all goes to plan!

CPU:
    Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 12MB-cache (any ideas what a moderate overclock could achieve?)
    CPU cooler: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme or Zalman CNPS9700-NT
    Mobo: Asus P5Q-E Intel P45 (don’t really know difference between p45 and x48 boards :) )
    GPU: 4870 or nvid 260 (undecided on which, any need for additional gpu cooler?)
    Ram: 4*2 gig sticks of OCZ PC2-6400C4 800MHz Reaper HPC ( wanting to overclock and prefer 8gig for video and image editing - any other preferences for makes/model?)
    HDD: 750gb Samsung F1 (to add to my existing Samsung 500gb)
    PSU: corsair 620w or 750W modular
    Case: Coolermaster 690
    Vista 64bit

Also I’ve already got a 22” moniter. Any quick help you guys could give would be appreciated, if it turns out i7 isnt comin out soon I will prob just go ahead anyway as having been wanting to upgrade for past 6 months! cheers

2. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your CPU would get 3.4GHz easy with good cooling.

3. Eternal

Eternal New Member

Thanks Received:
    seems like a pretty nice setup overall. I suppose you could go for an X48 mobo to extend the need for upgrade in the future. sweet overall doe.

4. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Go for the 4870 if you want to be up to date with DX10.1 for some upcoming games if you don't plan on upgrading again for a while. A good x48 would do well. :D

Corsair PSUs are nice. :p

Lol. I tend to make these posts seconds before I order the stuff.

5. ckoons1

Thanks Received:
    X48=crossfire ready
    9800 GX2 if go with X45

6. PennySavre

Thanks Received:
    If you ever want to go Crossfire... I would get the 4870 and go for the 750Watt.

7. fryup New Member

Thanks Received:
    alright, cheers for your help guys. will prob go down the 4870 and x48 route then. cheers

8. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    If your not into overclocking too heavy, the ASUS Maximus II Formula board is the way to go. And its a P45 board and its crossfire ready.

[​IMG]

As far as GPU, I would go with the Sapphire HD 4870 toxic edition. It's by far the best 4870 out.. unless you get the x2 version. It has the best stock cooler for any 4870, and from reading reviews... it's right under the 4870x2 and 280, as far as performance goes.

[​IMG]

The Q9550 is a good cpu, but for a cheaper price you can get a Q9450 and get a great OC with the ASUS mobo in the pic above . Anyways, your build looks good so far with the hardware choices you've picked out. But the only thing i can really see so far, is that you should go with the P45 board if you do decide to go with an Nvidia card, and if your not and you want great system with an ATI heart to it , go ahead and get the ASUS Rampage Formula with a 4870.
    But I still think the Maximus II is the better choice for you. Good luck on the new build!

If you want some ideas you can check out my thread about my up and coming new build....
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=73615

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  9. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes that card is a good one too. But the sapphire performs better.

11. aCeFr3aK

aCeFr3aK New Member

Thanks Received:
    but visiontek has a lifetime warranty... thats the card i have:D