1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Yet another gaming/editing build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by El_Mayo, Jul 6, 2014.

1. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PLnmFT

I'm looking to work with DaVinci Resolve mainly, as well as Premiere Pro (I know nVidia GPU deffo works with DaVinci) The guide/manual suggests a GTX 680 but I've gone for a single GTX 770. I don't realistically think I'm going to go with SLI at any point so if anyone can suggest a good single PCI slot board that's just as good for less money I'll be more than open to that.

I also considered a non-windowed Fractal R4 Define @ £65 to save a few £££ but I don't know how well that case copes with a high-end, hot build.

Had my eye on the 4790K but it's not the same price as the 4770K as Intel said it would be. If I can get it up to 4.4Ghz that'd be nice

budget is £850

2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    A Fractal R4 should do fine with tha build- I had an overclocked and water cooled FX-8350 and 7970 in mine with no issues ;)

On the cooler I would suggest a Noctua U14S rather than the BeQuiet one on your list.

El_Mayo says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Ahh you're watercooled so it might help that the heatsink is attached to an exhaust fan. I'm looking for a cheap, effective solution and aircooling ticked that box as under £50. There aren't really any good AIO options at that price range as far as my research has found (except maybe the Seidon 120V which is also fucking loud)

I'd been looking at this (synthetic) test looking for how it coped with heat. It doesn't look good compared, the H440 was even worse. Obviously it's synthetic though, and I find their method a bit weird but it kinda makes sense I guess?

4. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Those tests of the R4 are likely in "silent" mode with the fan covers still installed and the stock configuration of 1x140mm front fan and 1x120mm rear fan. My R4 has all of the fans (2x140mm front, 2x140mm top, 1x140mm bottom, and 1x120 rear and side... 7 total). It runs plenty cool for me and the fans are at low speed (appr. 900-1000rpm) so it's also not that loud.

Short version- add a few fans, even a cheap set of 120mm ones, and the temps drop right away ;)

rtwjunkie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I want a case that's good stock, I could get some good fans for the R4 but that would take it up in price to the 450D if I buy 3-5 extra fans. Maybe it won't actually get louder but it'd still be not as good to look at as the 450D ;)
    Is the sound dampening stuff really good on it then? Did you notice a change in sound level when you added 5 more fans? I know you have to remove sound dampening slabs on the top and side to install fans there, do you get sound leaking out of those?

6. Norton

Thanks Received:
    There's a lot to like about the 450D and if you prefer the look of it then go for it ;)

In my experience with Corsair cases (350D) and Fractal ones I would go back to Fractal's every time..... not that there's anything wrong with the 350D that I had it's just that I prefer the solid build of the Fractal Define. Probably the reason why I own the Define Mini, the R4, and the XL R2 :)

My $0.02

P.S. The sound dampening they use is heavy and bonded to the panels. It works well but like all sound dampening, it's not perfect...

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    If you like the look of the 350D, you'll also like the Silverstone cases.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Damn a lot of em expensive cos they're aluminium. They got anything sub £90?

9. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I second this! I use two 140mm fronnt intake, One top exhaust and one rear exhaust on my Frankerig system below with the Fractal Define R4, and I can tell you the cooling power is phenomenal, and it is quiet! You cant go wrong!

Norton and El_Mayo say thanks.
  10. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    will definitely consider it if I need to trim £££ off the final price as I've got a 120mm fan lying about :)
    I'm still trying to find a 4790K for the same price as the 4770K but I think UK guys have been shafted on that one :(

11. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    What size SSD should I be looking at installing? It's good to install your OS and programs to it I believe, but will the speed also be good as a scratch disk to hold video files whilst I edit or grade them?

12. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest 120GB SSD + 1TB+ HDD if you are dealing with a lot of video files most of the time (saving the video files on the HDD), and your game library isn't too bloated with large game files (e.g. not having Titanfall). If you plan to only deal with a few video files every now and again, then 240GB/256GB SSD and perhaps still a HDD for other files, and save on the SSD. One thing to watch out for - doing lots of writing and rewriting of an SSD when dealing with video files often drastically decreases the life of the SSD.

I would personally be happy with a 120GB + 1TB setup.

Layton

El_Mayo says thanks.
  13. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I do have Titanfall haha. So I should only put read only stuff on the SSD (Windows and applications/games) and files on the 2TB hard drive?

14. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Which brands tend to make quieter graphics cards? I want a GTX 770 or GTX 780

16. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    EVGA's ACX cooler, Gigabyte's Windforce cooler and Asus DCII are all quiet, high performing coolers. Personally I'd go for either an EVGA card or Gigabyte card.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  17. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    The MSI cards are quite quiet compared to reference cards.

Since youre trying to save a little cash too i recommend looking at a few 'B-Grades' (Open box/Customer returns) on OCuK. They always have some gigabyte ones going cheap and if youre only after one 780Ti (which is what i recommend too if youre not going SLi) then Its worth the gamble to get anywhere between £20-60 off the RRP and you still get the full years manufacturers warranty.

As for the issue with the cooler. I recommend an Antec 920 of a Corsair H80i and replacing the stock fans with 1850rpm Gentle typhoons. Ive had both AIO coolers and they work amazing. Currently running a H80i on my overclocked 3930k and it does a pretty good job. temps wont get even close to 70'c unless its retardedly hot in my room which it often gets due to the hot water pipes running underneath my bedroom floor....

And when i say retardedly hot. im on about 30-32'c ambient temps. Right now with most of my windows open and a breeze blowing through my room is still 26'c which is pretty warm to say the least.... Idling at 40'c at the moment but i dont have all the fans turned up at the moment because Im not gaming. Normall my CPU idles at 35'c

18. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I don't know how much the fans are but the h80i is £63 on amazon. The H90 is actually cheaper at £61 :D
    The Dark Rock 3 is £50 with delivery on Aria though, and is quite close to the H110 in this TPU review so I imagine it's either on par or better than the H80/90 for less

the Kuhler 920 is also fucking expensive!

19. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    H90 is good so long as you can find 140mm fans with good static pressure and there are a lack of those, same goes for any AIO that requires 1-4 140mm fans.

If your case can support a 280mm rad - id just go all out and grab the H110. you can run the fans at a lower speed to get decent results so its not much of an issue...

I would go with a H100i or something with my own system but unfortunately i have the first gen Define XL which didnt really give a lot of consideration for water cooling unless you were gonna take a dremel tool to it.

20. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    h100i is around £80. But I've just seen the h100 for £45 refurbished here...
    if it has a manufacturers warranty I might get it, although at the same price the the h100 is only about 3 degrees ahead of the Dark Rock 3 at 85W and 6 at 150W on benchmarks and quite a lot louder, I'd be willing to spend £10-£20 on some good fans if they were also quieter

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  21. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    I would say refurb liquid coolers are not to bad but they can be a bit of a chore to deal with hence why they are so cheap. They all come with manufacturers warranty (That I see) but in all honesty I feel the fail rate becomes around 50/50 for those (In my experience). I have had many people I have helped or know in general buy refurbs from microcenter, frys, or the likes and have had them fail or not work out of the box. However since they carry a manufacturer warranty, you can then just send them in and get a new one cheap which is great for saving money. Just be prepared that this may happen (Most of the time I would say the problems is a failed pump).

With fans, its hard to decide on because each manufacturer lists noise levels based on different methods of testing. With 140mm fans I would say just stick to some 1500RPM fans if you want to keep noise down with fluid filled bearings. I like Cougar, Aerocool, and Corsair fans personal preference.

22. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    any particular reason why the 4770K and not the 4790K? it only appears to be a 6 pound difference from the same etailer (Aria PC)

23. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    That only happened a few days ago, it was 250+ before. I got an email from yesterday and have since updated it hehe I'm glad it's dropped now

24. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    well I just purchased the same mobo along with the i7 4790K and it runs perfect out of box. No issues with turbo, XMP on my 2400MHZ memory came right up, etc. Seems pretty solid overall.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  25. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    What's XMP? also you gonna overclock? :D I'd like to know how high you get

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014