• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Yet another "help me diagnose my crash" thread

bokou

System Name The Beast 2
Processor AMD Phenom II 965 OC'd: 3.9ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G-Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 6970
Storage WDl 7200rpm 500gb
Display(s) Acer 21" LCD, Westinghouse 21" LCD
Case Coolermaster HAF932
Audio Device(s) On-board 7.1 SupremeFX
Power Supply Xion 800w Modular
Software Windows 7, Steam, BFBC2, TF2, Adobe CS5
Benchmark Scores 20k+ on 3dMark06, will have to look at exact number
Story: Have a 2nd computer that has for a long time hosted a Terraria and a Minecraft server. Never had any issues. Fast forward a few months, moved into a new house, more friends playing Terraria now b/c of Steam sale etc.

I can run both server programs with no trouble. I can have 15 people on the minecraft server, no trouble... we can even have TNT parties that would normally crash a not-so-fast computer no trouble. If more than 1 person joins the Terraria server though, it will freeze up after about 5 minutes. It doesn't crash or bluescreen, the server's screen just freezes up and you can't move the mouse, type, and everyone gets disconnected.

The rig:
fanless cpu cooler on an Intel dual core from a few years ago... doesn't overheat.
800w psu from an old build
4 gigs of ram on 4 1-gig sticks
1tb seagate with win7 on it
no video card or any other pci-e cards

In the Windows Event Viewer it's telling me Kernel Power.

Some things I know it's not:
Operating System, Hard Drive, Driver issues, heat issues (stays cool)

It's not OS or drive, because I reinstalled Windows 7 onto a brand new hard drive after some "no operating system" problems with my last one. It's not a driver issue because it was freezing before I replaced the hard drive and OS.

Some things I think it's likely not:
Memory.

I ran memtest86 for over 24 hours one night/day and had zero failures. I know this doesn't mean it's NOT ram, but I think it'd probably find something in 24 hours.

Some possibilities:
Power Supply?

The power supply isn't exactly brand new, but it's not terribly old either... about 4 years and is an 800w, 4-rail. I haven't hooked it up to my PSU tester to see how strong it is still.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

klawrence

System Name O.K. Stock DELL
Processor Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core
Cooling Fans
Memory 3GB
Video Card(s) Integrated
Storage 450GB
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Software Windows Vista Home Premium
Could it be the Terraria server software? Check wherever you get the software to see if it is a known issue/bug.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
fanless cpu cooler on an Intel dual core from a few years ago... doesn't overheat

Just a question but how do you know that it does not overheat when you have 15+ connected? Heat on the cpu could cause such problems.

Is hyperthreading enabled in bios?

Does the mobo accept larger ram sticks per slot. Perhaps 2 @ 2GB would be better than 4 @ 1GB. How is the northbridge cooled?

Your post suggests that the only hardware that may be failing is the PSU. Have you opened it to see if any bulging caps exist?

It could be software related as you have mostly precluded the hardware from being a possible cause. What logs are you keeping?

bokou

System Name The Beast 2
Processor AMD Phenom II 965 OC'd: 3.9ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G-Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 6970
Storage WDl 7200rpm 500gb
Display(s) Acer 21" LCD, Westinghouse 21" LCD
Case Coolermaster HAF932
Audio Device(s) On-board 7.1 SupremeFX
Power Supply Xion 800w Modular
Software Windows 7, Steam, BFBC2, TF2, Adobe CS5
Benchmark Scores 20k+ on 3dMark06, will have to look at exact number
In reply to Klawrence,
I haven't seen any other people having issues with the server software. It's the latest Terraria version which is 1.4 I believe.

In reply to jsfitz54,

I'm always monitoring temps on the PC (granted it's software driven temps inside windows) and they're not outside of normal range. There's a monitor on the PC and it's just off to the side for me to watch... it doesn't get to 15+ people before it poops. It can in other games like TF2, Minecraft, but not Terraria.

hyperthreading - don't know... I'll check that this evening.

It does accept larger sticks, I just had 2gb at one point and upgraded it to 4gb.

Haven't checked the PSU on it's own just yet. Will pull it out and hook it up to my psu tester and see if it's fluctuating or if the rail the HD is on is going out.

Not keeping any logs per se other than the windows event viewer log. What logs do you suggest I keep? I have the appropriate software installed that it needs. I haven't installed ANYTHING other than .net, java, and XNA. They're all up to date. No PDF software, no filesharing, no firefox, nothing else.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
If you can borrow 2 @ 2GB sticks, then you might try that first. (In addition to PSU health check-up).

Check mobo for bulging caps as well, the tops will be pushed up if bad. Sometimes the bottom goes out or you can see a rupture or leaking brownish fluid. Normally the tops are flat.

Sounding like mobo could be going bad but very hard to tell. The mem controller will not be stressed as much with 2 x2GB mem. (trying to rule out heat issue)

What does windows event viewer log read like?

You could also mount a fan to blow on CPU to also rule out heat issue.