1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Yet another possible upgrade post

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Broom2455, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Broom2455

Broom2455

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,
    Your advice is required, I am considering upgrading to an i7 920 with an Asus X58 Sabertooth motherboard running my same ram as in my System Specs , I do some gaming mainly Far Cry 2, Crysis and soon to be F1 2010. I do WCG daily when I am home from work and all weekend.

I know I'll get good advice :respect:

PLEASE NOTE : I AM NOT INTERESTED IN AMD replies stating AMD will result in :banghead:

So please only advice regarding Intel:rockout:

2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Yet another generic post about how you missed the bandwagon on the processor you want and you should wait.

Casually points out that Intel and AMD are coming out with new stuff the first part of the year and waiting say 2 months is a really good idea.

Required statement about how your CPU is fine and you would get a bigger boost in performance if you update your really really old graphics card with the new hotness.

3. gvblake22

gvblake22

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely. If you're looking to improve gaming performance, the video card (GPU) is absolutely the first place to start. Plus, you wouldn't have to buy a new motherboard yet if you just replaced your video card now. You can save up for a new processor and motherboard later while you enjoy the benefits of a good video card today. The Q9550 is still a very capable CPU, so the best option to improve your gaming performance is most definitely the video card. Try a 6850 or 6970 if you like AMD or a GTX460 1GB or GTX580 if you like nVidia.

Broom2455 says thanks.
  4. Volkszorn88

Volkszorn88

Thanks Received:
    Your cpu is just fine and will remain fine for a couple more years, especially if you can clock it a bit higher. Your great great great grandpa of a gpu is holding you back.

Broom2455 says thanks.