1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Yikes, my 7970 only scores 61.5 on ASIC

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Frag Maniac, Dec 7, 2012.

1. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    People are so up in arms about overclocking these days its almost ridiculous. I mean i know i love overclocking my shit, but graphics cards this generation don't even need it, one because most overclock on their own with boost clocks like kepler, or they are fast enough out of the box, to not warrant the need for it.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Whats funny is this guy is looking at a rating that means nothing. I bet he look at Windows experience score too.:laugh::laugh::laugh::banghead::banghead:

Run some real benchmarks and see how the card performs. Then get back to us.

Darkleoco and EarthDog say thanks.
  3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    If it means nothing why did W1zzard write the GUI that tests the ASIC score by labeling low scores as having lower OCing on air, which is the way most people run them. Lower OCs is also the most common scenario for those reporting their results with such ratings. Average OCs and certain above average are more the exception than the norm for high leakage cards on air. Acting like it's not isn't going to change that.

And if you'd paid attention to any of my other posts lately, you'd know I'm already running Cat 12.11, and have already benched the card.

If you're going to take cheap shots, at least know wtf you're talking about, and no, you personally I don't care to get back to, because you can't seem to handle discussing it with respect. "I bet he look", you can't even SAY your cheap shots intelligently.

4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well I will just throw in my ASIC Quality on my Sapphire OC Edition(non Boost 1000/1450) It weighs in at 69.8%. I have never made any serious effort to OC it. Only OC I have ever done is thru the CCC which amounted to 1100/1500. The difference was pretty minimal outside of the extra heat. Heck Far Cry 3 has set the new standard for my cards Max Temp. It's easily pushing Mid 70's running FC3 well over 10C then what I'm used to for my Max Temp. I will take the loss of what literally will amount to no more than 5FPS vs. the extra heat any kind of OC is going to generate.

You mentioned the Vapor-X IF I was to go for a new card(or if I had waited just a bit longer) THAT would be my card of choice hands down. Better components, better cooler and the kicker is I looked it up couple weeks back and my OC Edition is actually more expensive than the Vapor-X :banghead:

But like MxPhenom said, The card doesn't really need any OC anyway. Maybe a year or two down the road the option is there when it might actually struggle.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  5. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    ASIC is MOOT man(in terms of O/C'ing), My LCS 7970 had an ASIC of 78 , and OC'd like SHYT.

Although , it had TERRIBLE Coil whine, so I returned it, and got a new one, 71 ASIC, So So OC, nothing to write home about.

6. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    The ONLY time I hear any kind of Coil Whine is when I start a game that say for example doesn't use V-Sync in the Intros(My latest that comes to mind is Alan Wake) Well Hellz Yeah the coils are gonna whine when it's pushing almost 6000 FPS.

That's what V-sync is for... Coil Whine is pretty aptly named your card is begging you to stop overworking it for no good reason at all ;)

7. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You guys realize that "ASIC" just means "GPU"? So without the word "quality" after it, it isn't what you are talking about.

Steevo and INSTG8R say thanks.
  8. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Sigh... Yes your right. Now I gotta edit my post...

9. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    My ASIC quality is somewhere around 65 not sure and can't check now but I can get mine up to 1150/1525 on 1.112v

10. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    This just in; Next round of GFX cards will launch with ridiculous pricing due to plethora of users returning working cards claiming "low ASIC" or "coil whine".

People make me laugh.

11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    So how is it measured? WHAT is measured?

EDIT @ midget: If the whine is loud enough I'd return it. That kind of whining always gets to me.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  12. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    oc's like there's no tommorrow MSI R7970 Power Edition @1200/1600 24/7 Flashed to LIGHTING

13. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:

I know WTF I am talking about. Run 3Dmark 11 and post your damn score. If your getting hung up on this score the community really does not use much your crackers. :nutkick:

Who cares about air or watercooloing. Cooling is what it is.

14. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    ORLY? So you're psychic and know what I have or haven't done without reading all my posts? OK Cpt wiz kid, you can chill now and understand that I don't give feedback to those whom talk down to people they apparently know nothing about.

You're still not getting that a pretty tech savvy guy, the REAL W1zzard, wrote that ASIC interpretation chart indicating lower ASIC typically means lower air OC, and higher ASIC higher OC on air.

You also seem oblivious to the fact that spending $200 or more on WCing totally changes the cost effectiveness of even buying one 7970 in the first place. Hell, at the $280 they start at, two 7950s would be only $30 more than what I paid for my 7970 plus WCing. Doesn't take a genious to figure out which it the better deal.

If it hasn't sunk in by now, I'll just have to ignore your responses because I don't feel like dealing with your attitude. W1zzard's first response tells it all. Best I can hope for is extreme OCing with spendy cooling, and that = not cost effective.

Please tolerate our abbreviating ASIC "quality" with just ASIC though W1zzard. Pretty much everyone here knows what is meant when people say ASIC score, and to say quality when some of us clearly aren't actually getting a quality OC is salt in the wound.

15. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it's like saying "car" when you are talking about "car wash".

If you don't like your card, how it OCs, the color of it, the smell. By all means, return it, that's what restocking fees are for.

brandonwh64, m1dg3t and Naito say thanks.
  16. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    Ahahahaha :roll:

Definitely should take smell into consideration next time I buy a new GPU :laugh: :toast:

17. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    ASIC = Application-Specific Integrated Circuit. (I googled).

Is what you are saying is that the ASIC itself is the whole thing relating to the cards circuitry? If so, does this infer the chip itself (the Tahiti Core or GK104) is only a component of the ASIC?

The only way what you are saying makes sense (your car wash analogy) is if the ASIC quality does not simply refer to the chip. (Whereas the OP is using ASIC as a description of the chip itself).

I am getting the jist of things here? :confused:

18. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    If ASIC = GPU I think wiz is broadening it a bit. Or is ASIC part of the GPU? Good questions.

Anyway found this on another forum (ironcally):

EDIT: It feels like this feature generates more questions than answers. It feels people are confused about what it actually means.

19. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    I think W1zzard means that referring to ASIC quality by just saying ASIC or ASIC score is meaningless. What are you scoring in regards to the ASIC? What aspects are you measuring? And so on. Just as saying 'car' would be meaningless, when referring to a car wash, as 'car' could be referring to many aspects.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  20. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Found out some more. I'll paraphrase.

All components are given an ASIC quality but the ASIC that gpu-z reads is the AMD or Nvidia assigned chip ASIC. This is given at manufacture and is a way to describe the operating temps/voltage and frequency parameters of the chip. A higher ASIC chip works within the parameters of the assigned frequency with a lower voltage and heat output. I think.

However, the rest of the PCB is made of assembled components that also rely on ASIC 'quality'. So you may have a high ASIC chip but a poor selection of PCB components (Mosfets, chokes, etc) would hamper overclocking.

The high ASICs work well with lower voltages (less leakage) and therefore work well on air. The lower ASICs have higher leakage and require higher volts to hit the same frequencies but obviously at higher temps (water or LN2).

My confusion is why do high ASICs not clock even better under water or ice? Is it that the higher leakage chips are tested up to a certain volt range and are therefore known to tolerate them? Whereas the high ASIC's have a lower tested operating voltage and may not respond to more voltage?

Original description here.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=33445806&postcount=21

21. Naito

Naito

Thanks Received:
    I think cadaveca gave the best answer:

the54thvoid says thanks.
  22. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which brings me to another question, if you don't mind, regrading your MSI 7970 not overclocking that well even when water cooled. What is the ASIC quality reading for that card?

Also, I'll just add that from my understanding a higher ASIC quality means that the chip is also at it's limit in terms of how much voltage the circuitry can tolerate. I could be wrong, though.

Edit:

I'll also add that my current graphics card exhibits all the signs of being very high ASIC and doesn't respond as well to cooling.

23. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    lol, I shouldn't tell you, you'll probably try and cancel your own MSI order.

But remember it's still a stock 7970 pcb, just overclocked at bios level. I reached about 1100-1125 stable. The CCC limits were also set at 1125 (but i tried via the tweak to go higher).

1125 is 200MHz above stock (21.6% overclock) nothing to be sad about and my ASIC is unusually low. Flipside, less coil whine than my powercolor!

BlackZero says thanks.
  24. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, that's actually re-assuring as it shows that the lower overclock is likely due to the ASIC quality of your particular card rather than something inherently wrong with the model in question.

Which brings me to the next logical question, what kind of voltage did you test with?

25. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Right up to 1300mv. But it did bad things on 3DMark11. Thing is it ran at stock volts at 1125core. This particular card just didn't like the juice.

My Powercolor card did 1300MHz core on 1300mv.

Both my cards chug along at 1050core, 1500 memory, stock volts, 100% stable.

BlackZero says thanks.