1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

You might get a laugh from this!

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Nick259, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    Well I bought a hard drive from a guy at ocuk and I recieved it as faulty. I left him negative feedback as he refused to refund me and now he;s created this thread complainign about it. he's getting the piss taken out of him so if anyone wants to read it before it gets locked by one of the mods i'm sure you'll be on the floor laughing!

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18166970

2. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure if the guy intentionally sold me a faulty drive or if it was working and developed a fault thorugh the post. I originally believed the latter but i'm not too sure now.

Highlight of the thread

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    whats up with everyone having mafia avvys in that thread? Edit, guess thats how that forum works.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  4. Perseid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think it got locked/deleted while I was reading it.

5. logan

logan New Member

Thanks Received:
    why is it prompting me to log in to view another page?

6. logan

logan New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep. me too

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yep, its gone.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    yeah it's been locked. good while it lasted though :)

I feel a bit sorry for the guy but he's just being a bit pathetic. He's agreed to give me a refund now so at least it's been sorted.

This is the feedback I left him:

and this was his response:

I don't really understand his logic.

Feedback he left me:

My response:

9. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    How did you pay? These are times where PayPal can come in handy.

10. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    It's ok he's agreed to give me a refund since the whole of OCUK agreed that I should get a refund. I paid by paypal gift though so there is no buyer protection unfortunately.

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I don't do gift payments anymore, mostly because I'm an asshole. I think if he (the seller) is so worried about the 2.5% or whatever, factor it into the price.

Crunching for Team TPU 5 Million points folded for TPU
  12. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    lold then i felt bad for you.

13. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Furthermore, that is why I make all paypal purchases with a credit card. If paypal can't get my money back, my credit card company will.

14. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I suppose i'm a tight ass when it comes to charges! Most people on OCUK are very reliable and i've done over 80 transactions without any hastle, but I suppose you're right newtekie.

15. fairytale00 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have not seen it ,it's gone

16. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Selling a HDD online I'd go for a lower price but without refunds and/or guarantee of the thing working. When selling locally it's a whole other thing of course.

17. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    You know I was thinking about that the other day. I have been fortunate enough never to have a need to file a chargeback with any of my CC companies so I am not familiar, but a buyer just can't submit a request at random just to screw someone- can they? Its the reason I only take non-CC PP :eek:

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stuff like HDDs. I would NEVER buy it used. If my data gets corrupted i'll kill myself. Once almost about an year back i lost about 1GB of my personal pictures which i could never get back because the used HDD i bought turned faulty after about a week.

19. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Ditto

And ditto.

20. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is this cameron guy from Arizona?

I had a cameron in arizona rip me off for a UD3R last year when I began to get into i7 stuff and I went through this ridiculous ordeal with paypal and and my credit card company for a chargeback. which is why is also why I do not use paypal any longer.

I'm just curious.. not trying to falsely accuse the wrong person.

A chargeback is not simple... you have to have proof and reason as to why you deserve to be refunded. It can happen.. a random chargeback.. but the chances of it happening if you have some sort of proof your item was delivered to the buyer is pretty slim.

theonedub says thanks.
  21. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Oh I see, thanks for the info Shev. Wouldn't it be something though if its the same guy? I remember when that happened to you a while back.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    For any wannabe crooks out there reading this.. It is a felony to cancel a debit, echeck or paper check and even a felony in most states to file a chargeback if you have received your goods so don't go getting any "bright" ideas. :cool:

23. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Correct, and it isn't symple to get a charge reversed, you've got contact the CC company pretty quickly(within 30 days with my bank), and then they send you a bunch of paperwork to fill out to explain why you want the charge reversed. Then CC company contacts the person or business the chargeback is against and they get to defend themselves, then the CC company decides if the chargeback is legit or not. And in this situation Paypal is actually the one getting the chargeback, so they have to prove the charge was legit, not the actual seller.

I've had to do this twice with paypal.

The first time was for a processor I purchased, that was shipped in a flat rate envolope(the ones made of super thin cardboard with no padding). Well by the time the envolope got to me, it had torn open, and the processor was gone, and the post office stamped "package damaged during transit" on it. I went to the seller first, and he kept telling me he would refund my money, but never did. I then went through paypal, and they sided with me and said they would refund my money, but since the sellers account was empty, they couldn't. So I got my CC company to chargeback paypal.

The second time was similar, expect the seller never even shipped anything, and refused contact. So I filed a claim with paypal and the sellers response was that my product was an "electronic download" and paypal sided with him. I'm not sure how a motherboard can be an electronic download...but paypal sucks this way... My CC company is a little less shitty and sided with me. But I had to send printouts of the auction to them to prove that it was not an electronic download and was an actual product that was never shipped(because paypal defend themselves with the same "it was an electronic download" BS to my CC company). When paypal couldn't prove anything was physically shipped to me, I got the charge back.

I can guarantee you won't get any money back if you send it as a gift though, because paypal will just say "it was a gift sent by them" and the CC company will not reverse it.

24. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    Nah he's from the UK like me :) This is a lesson to all. Do not deal with people called cameron! :laugh:

jk to all the legit cameron's out there! ;)

25. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Maybe Cameron was on the receiving end of the infamous OCUK store and thought that was the norm selling on the site's forum (j/k)

In the end he's at least done the right thing, despite the hassle. At the very least it's a reminder of what can go wrong, and nice too see some good advice on this thread from newtekie and hat.