• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your feed back on a "Urlyin's Couth Award"

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Now that's something I agree with... constructive evolution. It's just that "Urlyin's Couth Award" smells of narcism. Perhaps not intended, but it came across.

But take the experience of other forums. It requires a significant majority of ALL members to vote for awards to be effective... which I honestly DO think is a distraction + waste of time given the focus of TPU. Without a majority of members participating in the vote, then what remains is only a small group of self-interested award observers. You create a "clique" of backscratchers all waiting their turn for the award which is NOT GOOD for the forum in general.

My comments are not to bash good intentions... but to point out that how those intentions are put into practice can be counterproductive.

P.S. Be careful with making assumptions on the "join date" info in the profile. It says nothing more than when the nic was created/updated... and gives no info about the true relationship of an individual behind that nic. :p

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Now that's something I agree with... constructive evolution. It's just that "Urlyin's Couth Award" smells of narcism. Perhaps not intended, but it came across.

But take the experience of other forums. It requires a significant majority of ALL members to vote for awards to be effective... which I honestly DO think is a distraction + waste of time given the focus of TPU. Without a majority of members participating in the vote, then what remains is only a small group of self-interested award observers. You create a "clique" of backscratchers all waiting their turn for the award which is NOT GOOD for the forum in general.

My comments are not to bash good intentions... but to point out that how those intentions are put into practice can be counterproductive.

P.S. Be careful with making assumptions on the "join date" info in the profile. It says nothing more than when the nic was created/updated... and gives no info about the true relationship of an individual behind that nic. :p

All good points and I understand where you are coming from and that if it were to become as you say then I would hope we would be able to see the light and move on... as the membership is continuously changing... as for the title, it was only meant to be funny... heck I had people asking what "couth" meant :laugh: .. used more as in "no couth"

P.S. We frown at those that create multiple accounts....

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista
can i get the award? :D

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
It's easy to forget a password.

Dont be so melodramatic. Stop frowning. The wind might change.

Just as easy to get one sent through email and reset your password... no one is being melodramatic, just a response to you thinking I was making an assumption ... the wind forever changes ... actually I'm smilling :)

POGE

Processor Turion 64 ML-34 1.8Ghz
Motherboard Compaq Laptop Mobo
Cooling Stock Compaq Laptop Fan
Memory 1x 256 DDR333
Video Card(s) Radeon 200m
Storage 40GB 5200RPM HP
Display(s) Stock Laptop LCD
Case Laptop Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Stock Laptop Powerbrick
Software Windows XP Pro
I think we should all get awards that way we can all be happy. ;)

pt

not a suicide-bomber
Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 (Trinidad)
Motherboard ASUS F3Ka (ATI RS690M)
Cooling stock
Memory Nanya 2x1GB ddr2 667@5-5-5-15-2T
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600 512MB DDR2@ 580mhz/486mhz
Storage 160GB on laptop+250GB external
Display(s) ASUS 15.4
Case Asus Laptop F3Ka chassis
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply 1:30minutes battery
Software "genui xp", 'cause i hated vista

ex_reven

got bored...

Attachments

• tpu.jpg
    tpu.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 443

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
got bored...

Thanks Ex for taking the time to do that ... but like the lame name Couth Award, which was only meant as a joke, I wanted something other than " Member of the Month" and was trying to get ideas from everyone... meh ... maybe you guys in the Photoshop Club can help come up with an Avatar or a sig? I liked the 1337 Award ... but there wasn't enough interest in the idea but maybe you guys can stir things back up... :)

Again thanks... I appreciate your effort .. :toast: