1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your opinion on Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Sanhime, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Sanhime

Sanhime

Thanks Received:
    I could only find a couple web reviews for this drive. I want to know whats your or TPU's opinion of this drive as a main OS drive.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's fine, though you would be better off with a 3.5" 7200.12 HDD as it would be a little faster and cheaper. For a SFF or laptop it would be a great HDD.
  3. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I was thinking about getting one until I read the reviews on Newegg. Although we know how much "Technical Expertise" Newegg users have according to their reviews :laugh: it made me want to save my money for an SSD.
  4. fusionblu

fusionblu

Thanks Received:
    From a test video I saw, it showed that the hybrid drives came second to a SSD which included these different drives:

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the test video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kss98VdhSj0&feature=player_embedded

I'm not particularly into these drives so I won't argue the for and againsts as I don't own this drive at all, although getting a 1 TB of this drive might be nice way to do some tests and then set it as a new storage drive once I'm done. ^_^
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i guess seagate wants to push their platter drive more with adding ssd features to get better performance. thats kinda effective solution since ssd is still too pricey and the size is small (for today) and platter has big space but limited on performance
  6. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:
    I just put a 500GB model in my T61p and my lady's R61 notebook.

Fresh clean install of windows 7 64bit. Not as blazing fast as my RAID zero 2x60GB Vertex 2's in my desktop but for the money I'm very happy with the performance that the 500GB offers.

SSD is the future but the costs are still high so for notebook I'm happy. Notebooks feel like new machines.

Very happy.

A few bencmarks of my single Momentus XT in my T61p.

[​IMG]