1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your PC ATM

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by DaMulta, Jul 7, 2008.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    SS I might be able to get, benchies, no way, it's in use for something 24/7. Sorry, I would like to see the results as well (I think it has 4 3ghz Yorkfield-based Xeons (so effectively 3 Q9650s :eek:)) :ohwell::(

theJesus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. sNiPeRbOb

sNiPeRbOb New Member

Thanks Received:
    :respect::respect::respect:

[Ion] says thanks.
  3. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    I kind of figured that would happen. I logged using Everest while playing online for several hours with and without hyperthreading at the same clocks on my i7 rig. Running at 3.33Ghz core and uncore I saw loads constantly above 50% without hyperthreading. With hyperthreading, it never got more than 40% and usually hovered in the 30s. Did this on more than one occasion and the results were pretty consistent.

4. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Any idea what it's used for? I'd be happy just seeing it's performance for whatever it does. Maybe screen of a performance log? In any case, the task manager graph would be appreciated, so good luck on your new mission :cool:

[Ion] says thanks.
  5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I have no idea, at one point it was used as a database server (this was some time last year the last I heard of it)...I'm not sure if he even still has it (it was on loan from Intel), but I'll ask him tomorrow if he still has it and if I can get a SS or any performance figures :cool:

theJesus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I wish I could get a loan like that from Intel!

7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, seriously, according to my WCG PPD Estimator it would do something like ~10k PPD :cool:
    And would be so much fun in general, but apparently it was like 600w and loud as hell. But still awesome :roll::roll:

theJesus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I don't care how loud it is, you won't be able to hear over the sound of how awesome it is.

[Ion] says thanks.
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
  10. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons are good for low noise and decent temps, and Ultra Kazes are good for great temps (but like that 16-core server I mentioned above, loud as hell)

CDdude55 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  12. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    For fans, I'll vouch for just about anything Scythe. I also got some GELIDs not long ago that are pretty nice as well. They look freaking sweet too: translucent black blades and green LEDs :cool:

EDIT: My bad, they were Cooler Master R4's, not GELIDS. They just remind me of the GELID fans. "90 CFM" and "19 dBa" obviously a pretty generous spec, but I'd say they come close on both.

CDdude55 and [Ion] say thanks.
  13. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone used Mascool fans at all, specifically their ball bearing ones? I've been kicking around the idea of getting a couple of the 140mm ones and put them on the top of my 590. I just wasn't sure about the sound of them.

Why don't you spend less less money on a Noctua NH-D14 unless you pressed for room. NH-D14 $69.99 at SVC

The Xigmatek 140mm fans look too much like the "straight blade" Noctua fans that are known for being good case fans but bad cooler fans since they don't push a lot of pressure. Why not get a couple medium speed Yate Loons?

CDdude55 says thanks.
  14. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Was looking at that heatsink, but i don't think it'll fit so good. It'll more likely hit the vrm heatsink on my X58 board.

15. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    I'll 2nd Mlee & Ion, the gentle typhoons are working great in push pull on the megahalem. Crunching @ 3.8 temp doesn't go above 65 and it's very quiet.

[Ion] and CDdude55 say thanks.
  16. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    here we go, moved the hose around, and finally put on the anti kink i wanted to install for a few weeks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[Ion] says thanks.
  17. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    @CDdude
    Get one of these. 367 CFM and only 74 dBA

18. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Ah, good call.

I've been want to get a eVGA X58 SLI LE board but wasn't sure about that northbridge cooler getting in the way of my Noctua. Not to mention that the second slot can only be 8x and never anything else.

19. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    As promised, one Noctua NH-D14 fitted inside a CM 590.

First, I was wrong. On the Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P you can't run any ram with tall heat spreaders. Moving the fan higher might not be an option cause it is really close to the side panel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FWIW, the cpu fan header is in the upper left. I mounted the cooler, strapped in the 140mm fan, snaked the connectors under the fans and out the back (which was a little bit of a struggle), and used the y connector that comes with the cooler to connect them over to the cpu fan header. The y connector was just barely long enough as it was getting ready to pull the other end back through the hole I fed them through. BTW, if you mount the top 2 fans with rubber mounts like I did, you have to mount those two first as getting to the back ones to pull them through is impossible with the Noctua in there.

So, moving from the OCZ Vendetta 2 with a CM R4 that I had on it to the Noctua results: Running 1.45v core and 1.25v cpu-nb I'm barely reaching 40C fully loaded under P95 Large FFTs. With the OCZ I was at that temperature when I ran 24 Hrs of Blend with an open side panel! :rockout:

I thought I was having problems above 3600 core as I needed more volts and the temperatures just climbed past 50C and eventually I would fail. Needless to say, I'm running large FFTs right now at 1.45v at 3800 and she is just humming along without a problem. :rockout:

I happy! :D

theJesus says thanks.
  20. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    small FFTs produce more heat

21. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    @ exodus

That looks seriously sexy bro :toast:

22. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    Ooh when you said it was tight i had no idea it was gonna be like the proverbial nun as for the ram I know what thats like my CoolerMaster Hyper 212 with 2x 120mm fans was the same way couldn't use dimm1 and dimm2 had 2mm before the fan hit thats why i chose the tuniq tower 120 to replace it but it's a AMD mobo fault they put the dimm slots far to close to the CPU socket unlike Intel mobo's

23. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Latest rig from PP Mguire

[​IMG]

24. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    The white slots don't really have a problem with taking the dimms out without removing the fan. Its the blue ones that are not happening and the Ripjaws might now come out without removing the heatsink. Though in a wider case, you would probably have room to move the 120mm higher up to gain some room for taller dimm heat spreaders.

I had reserves for the Noctua on an AMD cause I wasn't sure if it would produce enough heat to be put to use. I know its a champ on the Intel i7/5 series as my 920 barely reaches 70C under LinX with ~1.25v on the core for 4Ghz. It wasn't until I saw the AM3 cooler shootout on Techreaction.com that I decided to get one of the AMD. Then I find out that SVC is selling the Noctua 10 bucks cheaper than what I paid for mine that I bought a little after it first came out. With all that staring me in the face, it was a no brainier for me.

Needless to say, the Noctua has once again turned out better than I expected. I'm really happy about it. I've got another temperature that gets reported (either vrm or nb) that runs cooler too with the Noctua in place. Its a win all the way around.

25. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Finally got some time today to get started on my new Folder/Cruncher, here's all the parts (minus the Hard drives which are inside the case already).

[​IMG]

[Ion] says thanks.