1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your PC ATM

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by DaMulta, Jul 7, 2008.

1. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    considering that other site i found them on was asking $75, these things are gonna sell like crazy.
  2. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I dont think so Tim.

140mm coolers are designed for a small percentage of pc users. I think it will be outshined by other similar coolers.
  3. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    I have a couple of updates

First off, my Cooler Master Haf X arrived yesterday, this is the case compared to my old Termaltake Armor+

[​IMG]

They are almost the same size, but both thermals and acoustics are markedly improved. This is how the build looks like, will get a third GTX580 pretty soon, which means the X-Fi will have to go unfortunately :(, but I trust it'll be a fair trade off ;)

[​IMG]

Gotta work a little more on the cabling, full specs are found under my system specs tab.

[​IMG]

So that's my PC ATM, will upload new pics once I get my new GTX580 sometime next month for some 3-Way SLI glory :rockout:

The second update has to do with my HTPC, I got a 128GBs Kingston SSDNow V100 as a boot drive, after I went for RAID 0 SSDs in my main rig, I just couldn't stand how unresponsive my HTPC was, Anand got it right, once you taste SSD performance, you just cannot go back to mechanical drives for your OS. The V100 isn't nearly as fast as my dual Vertex 3s, but boy it makes a world of a difference compared to the old 7200RPM drive:

[​IMG]

I moved my HTPC from my bedroom's 46" LCD screen to my 58" 3D Plasma screen in my game room, as the wife was growing weary of some late night sessions of the Witcher 2 and Crysis 2:

[​IMG]

What I didn't realize is that this provided for some amazing 3D gaming sessions, my good 'ol SLI GTX285s still pack a good punch for gaming, and I can run everything at max details (except for Uber Sampling for the Witcher 2 :() and 3D gaming at 1920x1080p.

[​IMG]

Sound is powered by an Onkyo TX-SR606 (soon to be replaced by a TX-SR609) connected to a Klipsch 5.1 Quintet SL + 12" Synergy Subwoofer speaker setup.

The way it's meant to be played indeed :rockout:
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Why are you going to replace your 606 with a 609? If you are going to upgrade, at least go up a model line. I replaced my 606 with an HT-RC270. Check Amazon before you buy. I got my 270 for less than the then current 60x series (think 608 might have been the newest at the time) was going for.
    15th Warlock says thanks.
  5. Jan Kyster

Jan Kyster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well if you have to know... ATM it's freakin' upside down! :banghead:

[​IMG]

Turned out to be a way too restrictive loop - about to remove cooling heads for MOSFETs and NB/SB :banghead:

This is the price you pay when you don't take advantage of the forums, i.e. don't ask for any advice or feedback before starting a build... :slap:

But at least there weren't any leaks! :D
  6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Lots of 90 degree fittings in there. Is that 1/2" or 3/8" tubing? Looks like 1/2". You could try using a more heavy duty pump to overcome the restriction.
  7. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Aw, you probably don't need all those heatsinks anyway. :)

Still curious as to where pump, res, and rad are going. It does look a bit tight in there.
  8. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that's one slick HT setup. Me jelly :respect:
    15th Warlock says thanks.
  9. Jan Kyster

Jan Kyster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agree! Going back to aircooling for Mosfets, NB/SB. Heatsinks are drying atm after being painted matt black.
    Only got the waterblocks for looks anyway :p

In the image you can see the back of the stand in which rad, res and pump is placed.

Under construction, same basesize as the Fractal Design case:
    [​IMG]

Testassembly before final layers of paint:
    [​IMG]

Fuming off in the sun... :D
    [​IMG]

Being filled...
    [​IMG]
  10. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Well, right now the 609 cost as much as the 606 did when I bought it almost 4 years ago, and offers so many new functions over the older model, one of them being HDMI 1.4a passthrough, which I need for 3D, my current model being HDMI 1.3 simply cannot output 3D signals, I've tried, so I have to connect both my HTPC and PS3 directly to my TV, using the optical out for sound, not an ideal setup if you ask me.

Other features like THX Select2 Plus, six HDMI inputs, 4K video upscaling, network connection and IPod/IPhone connection, not found in my current model are just icing on the cake, not bad for the price of this receiver; for my particular needs this receiver is plenty enough ;)

I have one of these receivers sitting in my Amazon cart since the moment they came out a few months ago, I'm just waiting for the current price to drop some more before I get one of these puppies ;)

As I mentioned, IMHO, for the price, this receiver fills all my needs, I don't really need a more expensive receiver :) thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it ;)
  11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Seeing this box, it's makes even less sense to me as to why you would use the restrictive PCI pass-through for your tubing. Just use the water tubing holes already in your case. You might even be able to still use your mosfet and chipset blocks if you did.
    Velvet Wafer says thanks.
  12. Whilhelm

Whilhelm New Member

Thanks Received:
    Making progress, it may actually get finished soon :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  13. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
  14. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:

Very slick. Looks just like the case. Will be seamless. :cool:
  15. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Hah yeah once you start gaming on your lazy boy you can't go back, I moved my gaming PC down stairs to do the same thing lol.

SO clean!
    15th Warlock and Whilhelm say thanks.
  16. Ross211

Ross211

Thanks Received:
    Busted out the cold cathodes for my new setup :pimp:

Wasn't sure if they would still work but they seem to light up my case and tubing a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^ You can sorta see the second cold cathode hanging out zip tied vertically :roll:
    PopcornMachine says thanks.
  17. jzv New Member

Thanks Received:
    My Fractal Design Define R3 :)

Attached Files:

Cold Storm says thanks.
  18. Jan Kyster

Jan Kyster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Man, that is so beautiful! :rockout:

Brother!!! Looks really great! :toast:

Oh... wait... it's not the black edition! [​IMG] [​IMG]

May I suggest both Whilhelm and Jzv to paint these ugly Cross-Fire bridges matt black? [​IMG]
    Imho it would improve the otherwise great look a lot - as...
    [​IMG]

I'm a close to being a total noob in this business and mainly runs water for the look :eek:
    In the planning stage I considered lots of scenarios, like using internal mounting of pump, rad etc. or bolting base and case together to form a single unit, and of course also the direct connection to the base through the already made holes, but ended up with the above solution after all.
    The case fully equipped is very heavy, I guess close to 20 kg, so just to have a chance of handling it, I split the build in two. I've been assured that these Koolance VL4 couplings are of a high-flow quality and the tests I've done since last time have shown that neither these couplings nor the MOSFET/SB/NB-kit are the ones to blame for what I considered being a low flow... it's the tiny, little EK pump, that simply delivers a "low" flow :shadedshu
    I've decided to keep the MF/NB/SB blocks out of the loop - motherboard simply looks better to me without them :D and I'm not sure if a "slow" flow isn't a good thing?
    Will of course keep an eye to temps once she's powered up and may later upgrade to a bigger pump. If needed...
    Wow - sorry for this wall of text! [​IMG]
    Whilhelm and [H]@RD5TUFF say thanks.
  19. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    So, thoughts between the two cases? Is it just thermals and acoustics?

Been thinking about these two for a little bit now and interested in your thoughts since your going from the TR to the CM.
  20. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    Got my new case today. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PopcornMachine and [H]@RD5TUFF say thanks.
  21. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks great Kenny. :)
  23. Crazykenny

Crazykenny

Thanks Received:
    What do you guys think about those Enermax Apollish Vegas fans? Ordered 2x 140mm red for the top and 2x 120mm red for the H50 rad.
  24. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Like beddazling you computer, using golden teeth, huge diamond clocks hanging in neck.
  25. Velvet Wafer

Velvet Wafer New Member

Thanks Received:
    what similarity do apollish fans and flava flav have? :laugh: