1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your PC ATM

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by DaMulta, Jul 7, 2008.

1. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    One of my new GTX 680s was DOA :(

I tried it in SLI along with three of my other 680s and it boots into Windows and allows me to install the driver, but as soon as I start any 3D application, it randomly freezes my PC and I have to reboot it.

I also tried the card by itself on my main PC and it crashes Windows when installing the drivers, it won't boot either, unless I boot into safe mode.

I tried it on my two other PCs and the results are the same, I tested each of my other 680s and they all boot without a problem, and load 3D applications.

From all my tests I can only deduct that this is a hardware problem, as all my other cards work on my PCs without any problem.

Just contacted EVGA, and they want me to send it back for an RMA... oh well, guess I'll have to wait a little longer to benchmark my rig :p
  2. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who else is jelly of Warlock? xD
    15th Warlock says thanks.
  3. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    There sure is some nice rigs in here. Makes me want to redo mine.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you're not alone :cry:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    This makes three :cry:
  6. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    me to:cry: shit I wish I could afford just 1 680 but not going to happen not with the way prices are here for them EVGA GeForce GTX680 FTW 4GB $1148.... ummm I can build an entire PC for that ridiculous amount of money:ohwell:

Retailers/eTailer >>:nutkick:<< Average joe buyer
  7. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    That's odd. It makes me want to go in to debt. :laugh:
  8. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    So you couldn't let me beat you in the number of cards huh?? LOL Nice rig man what a beast! Now lets see some benchmarks
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    some people have too much time on their hands :laugh:
  10. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    If you think about it though.... in terms of hobbies 3 or 4 video cards from $1500 to $2000 is not all that much compared to other hobbies. When I was into souping up cars.... I could pay that for 1 part let a lone 4.
    The advantage to something like that is though.... when your souping up cars.... you usually buy the part that you need and your done with that part. You don't have to upgrade a year later.
    But still overall in terms of hobbies.... computers are still more or less cheaper than other hobbies.

If a single 680 or a single HD7850 (Or what ever) is all you can afford.... be happy with it.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  11. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    you're right dude, I'm a cyclist and after buying my first entry level racer I will never buy another bike from Sears or Wal-mart. And the next bike I want to buy with top of the line Shimano Dura-Ace hardware and a hand made Italian frame would run me $6,000 or $7,000!!! And if I were to put top of the line Campagnolo Record (carbon fiber parts) you can make that a $10,000 bicycle!!! :eek:
    15th Warlock and 20mmrain say thanks.
  12. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    That's exactly what I mean.... so when you take that into account and then look at my 3 video card fully water cooled computer.... compare the two prices.... $5500 to $6000 for a computer doesn't look so bad next to a $7000 to $10000 dollar bike :)

I know it still is a lot of money... I guess my point is.... other hobbies are way more expensive.
    ChaoticAtmosphere says thanks.
  13. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man :toast:

I was lucky enough that two of my previous cards qualified for the EVGA step up program, and I just traded those cards, but I have to admit I always wanted to try a quad SLI setup, I'm happy I have the chance and consider my self really lucky for it :)

Unfortunately, one of my new cards was DOA, and is currently being sent back to EVGA, so I haven't had the chance to benchmark my system yet :p

Gotta give it to EVGA though, their RMA process was smooth and even over the weekend they replied to my support questions! One of the best tech supports I've ever had the opportunity of dealing with! Kudos to them :rockout:

As for having too much time in my hands, well I wish that was the case, I work 9-10 hrs a day, and have a 3 year old angel that takes all of my time when I come back from work, and doesn't let me go until he goes to bed... I haven't finished a single game in ages :(

The main reason I had not posted in many months is that my marriage of 7 years is ending, and I dedicate every single minute I have available to my son now that he needs me the most...

Building computers in my office is the only hobby I can practice late on these sleepless nights, so yeah, I really don't think I have too much time on my hands... :p
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  14. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

:toast:
  15. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like neither of you have ever been to New Zealand 15th's PC setup would whack me out to about $10k here easily retailers here are a bunch of gouging bastards and they try to claim it's the shipping costs which we all know here is bullshit we really aren't that much further from Taiwan/China than the US
  16. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    My little man was exactly the same bleeding little clingon but I love him lots so I didn't mind

I hope your teaching him all the tricks of the trade
  17. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Moving on from trifire 6950s i see, should be a nice performance bump! :) and less CF issues also i would think :confused:

I know how you feel, i'm sitting here waiting for things as well lol I wish there were more iTX MoBo's available :cry:
  18. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Man, i'm sorry to hear that about awful personal things going on. I'm going on 9 years married with a little girl myself, and I'd hate to have to go through it. :respect: Keep up the fine work doing what you're doing: love him and raise him right! It makes me sad to see the many terrible parents these days who just don't care about their children.

Not trying to make light of anything but you do have a beast pc :laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  19. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Considering popping it all in a HTPC and going Air. That or getting some mITX kit and replacing the TJ07 with a silly small setup. Literally only played Solitaire in the last 8 weeks, lol.
    phill, NHKS, KieX and 9 others say thanks.
  20. Anath New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just posted this in the 600 series page

Here is mine:

i7 3820
    8 gb 1866 ram
    asrock extreme 6gb x79 motherboard
    3 x evga gtx 680s
    1200w coolermaster gold psu
    corsair h100
    512gb samsung ssd
    2 x 1tb samsung f3 hdd
    corsair c70 case
    phill, NHKS, KieX and 10 others say thanks.
  21. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    phill, TRWOV, m1dg3t and 8 others say thanks.
  22. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    Small update to operation cheapskate...the VRM's on the ASRock Z77 Pro4-M board were getting so hot under a LinX load at any speed over 3.8 GHz that the board would throttle down to prevent damage. I didn't realize this until I reached in there and damn near got burnt touching the top heatsink! So I grabbed a cheap open box Z68 Extreme3 and all is well, with a lesson learned on going too cheap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cold Storm, KieX, Athlonite and 5 others say thanks.
  23. phill

Thanks Received:
    Loving the rigs guys :D Awesome!!
  24. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

New home for the TJ07 and new desk :)

Edit: PS2 is there because i just got like 10 games off eBay and i want some nostalgia :)
  25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Nice desk set-up, moonpig! Got some info on that desk?