1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your PC ATM

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by DaMulta, Jul 7, 2008.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Currently:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      189.7 KB
      Views:
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    cadaveca says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yep. Had already tested, but thought a new OS and a re-test was in order yesterday, plus, need to test with the new VGA, too, as I don't quite have enough results yet to make the transition. Currently writing the review, should be live in a few days(it'll be done today, and I'm behind a few days). Had some good BF3 rounds with the guys last night while testing!

As to the Dominators, OC with them is BCLK mostly, so I'm trying to find the best board to use. That said, i can run 2666 with all four sticks with no voltage changes at all to VCCSA or VTT, so my CPU definitely is not going to be an issue. Still got a few weeks of testing though.

The two items paired up with the Windforce 7950 make for a nice thematic silver/Blue rig, even with using the stock cooler! Corsair should be sending me another H100 soon, I cannot wait!;)
    ChaoticAtmosphere says thanks.
  5. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Aren't they rated for 2666? C'mon Dave, we wanna see BIG numbers! Shoot for 3000!:laugh:
    Of course, you're busy with actual work, so don't think I'm pushing you. I would just like to know what four sticks are capable of before dropping $400+ on RAM. Guess I'll just have to wait a few weeks for the review to go live...:banghead:
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    3000+ takes LN2 or such on CPU. You'll find many "pro clockers" saying that even 2600 Mhz is hard for some CPUs, so 2666 is pretty good without voltage changes. There's more to this ram than just that, but I'm saving that for the review!

Are they expensive? YES! is the cost justified? YES!
  7. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    I knew 3000 was out of the question, hence the :laugh:
    Still, 2666 without voltage adjustment should give you a bit of headroom. I wouldn't be surprised if you managed 2750-2800 out of them.

And yes, they are expensive, but as you said, the cost is justified. If nothing else, they have a lower CAS than the equivalent(speed-wise) G.Skill or Team Group kit at the same voltage, and(IMO at least) they're a hell of a lot sexier.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  8. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This !

That is some damn fancy ram!
    Random Murderer says thanks.
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yep. There is more than just that, too...;)

High-end ram has always come at a premium, and personally, I've bought similar stuff in the past from Corsair, and have rarely been disappointed.
  10. phill

Thanks Received:
    What would be a benefit to running the Premium spec ram then in an everyday sort of gaming system? What differences would there be?
  11. phill

Thanks Received:
    I still have my 3 Dell 30" screens but since two of them didn't work properly and they had to go back, I've two 3011's and one 3008's and that doesn't work right for the 3 screens, so I'm just back to single screens at the moment!!

Driving games at 7680 x 1600 is damn hard but my 580 3Gb cards manage it well even with a 3 or 4 gen old i7 920 @ 4.6Ghz..

I know what you mean about spending money.. My fiancee and I are having our first baby this month and I can't see I'm gonna have any money at all when the baby is born!! :lol: But at least its for a good cause I guess :D :toast:

I'll just have to grab another system soon as our two boys are both having an i7 rig of mine each!! :lol: :roll:
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Better overclocking support, slightly better load times for games and apps, better esthetics, and usually, better customer support.

I'm a big proponent of people buying the ram speed they want, and not relying on overclocking to get maximum performance, and the same applies when going all out on the high-end. My CPU is really good, better than most, so I want ram that matches the CPU's functionality. There are actually quite a few games that benefit from faster ram too, like Shogun 2 and most CodeMasters titles, and when you add multiple videocards and monitors to that mix, ram is even more important, since videocards get their data from ram.

And anything other than that, I'll save for reviews. :laugh:

I guess, to me, it's like choosing a GTX680 over a GTX670...both are very good, and offer more performance than most need...
  13. phill

Thanks Received:
    So what might you suggest I use for a 52x multi 2600k and for the moment, 2 580 3Gb GTX's??
  14. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Corsair Link, sweet lighting effects that can be changed, efficient heatsinks, and well-designed PCBs. I'm sure I'm missing something else, though.

I've never owned any Corsair, but always heard good things about them. All of my high-end RAM over the years has been G.Skill, OCZ(back in the DDR2 days, man I loved my Reapers), and Team Group. But to be completely honest, I was never really interested in high-end RAM for my own 24/7 rig, I've always done what I'm doing now: find a diamond in the rough and make it run like high-end:laugh:. My x48 rig ran 4x2GB Crucial value RAM rated for 1066. What most people didn't know about that RAM was it had Micron D9 chips. They ran 1420 without a hitch up until the day I retired that system. At least if your RAM goes *POP* and it's value RAM, it's not a huge loss.:roll:
  15. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    2600K, 2133 MHz with 4x 2 GB sticks(some boards on P67/Z68 have issues with 4 GB DIMMS).

Clocking ram with SB can affect CPU clocks as well, and generally 1600 MHz is more than enough, but ther eare some small gains to be had with faster ram.

I've also been one of few people that like filling all DIMM slots, but I like to classify myself as a high-end user, and part os being high-end, to me, is building rigs that give the most possible, including using multiple VGAS, many ram sticks, and as many CPU cores as possibly, with PSU's way over-spec'd. It's like buying a BMW M5, for getting back and forth to work. I just recently sold my 10-year-old M5...and got killer resale value too.

When my Dominator GT sticks died, and they had no replacements, Corsair refunded every single penny I spent on the sticks(over $500!!), when most other companies would have just given current market value. That's a big thing, to me, especially considering the lifetime warranty. Warranty support, and how companies deal with RMAs, are very very important to me.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  16. phill

Thanks Received:
    I do have some 1600Mhz ram here which I think would do just fine but as for getting the very last Mhz of performance out of the 2600k I'm not sooooo worried because its an in between build as I'd like to replace it with a nice Octo core setup with 3 graphics cards and a boat load of SSD's just cos I can but with baby and a wedding to pay for, things like that will have to wait!! :lol:

Well I would say about buying a rig for me, if there's something I'd want it to do, then I'm make sure it did it regardless of the cost as if there's one thing I've learnt, if you don't pay out a little bit more than you needed, then you'll only end up wasting it later on down the line and think, damn, I wish I'd.....
    cadaveca says thanks.
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Precisely...;)
  18. phill

Thanks Received:
    I did buy fast ram for my i7's but I just couldn't get it to run properly so I just left it around the 2:8 divider rather than the 2:10 I was hoping to use...

I might consider going stupid again when I have some money, but I just don't see that happening with 1 baby of my own and two adopted children that think I'm their 2nd Dad :lol:
  19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Ha! :laugh:

I've got 4 kids, ages 5-7-9-11. If it wasn't for doing reviews, I'd not have as much high-end stuff either! I got lucky, but likewise, I take it seriously too, as it's definitely a good source of entertainment for me. :p
  20. phill

Thanks Received:
    Well the two I seemed to have gain (with no practice at all!! Most disappointing I think!!) are great and as you say, are definitely a good source of entertainment :D

They are getting very much into the PC's and gaming in general but I'm happy to help them gain and learn with doing things with them..

I've had to buy the hardware, I've sadly never been lucky enough to do the reviews!! I'd love to do it tho, one of my dreams jobs :D
  21. Milton180

Thanks Received:
    Process: Intel ® Core ™ i5-3570K procesador (cache 6M, hasta 3,80 GHz)
    Ramms: Patriot Division 2 Viper Xtreme 16GB 1600MHZ
    Mobo: MSI Z77A-GD55
    Cooler: Hydro Series ™ H100 Corsair Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    Case: Graphite Series™ 600T White Edition
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 SATA III de 2,5 " SSD 120GB
    HHD: 1TB Segate Barracuda 7200RPM, 500GB Segate Barracuda 7200RPM
    Backup: 3TB Segate GoFlex Home USB 3.0
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr III OC edition
    Teclado: Thermaltake Challenger Pro Red Ilimination
    Mouse: Genius Mouse Maurus Gx Gaming
    PSU: OCZ ZX SERIES 1000W Power Supply
    LED: Asus LED 24"
    Sound: Logitech X530 5.1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    phill, theonedub, popswala and 4 others say thanks.
  22. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice build Milton. I love receiving parts and having them all stacked up like that. :D
    Milton180 says thanks.
  23. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:

[​IMG] :respect::respect::respect:

[​IMG]

I'm painting my OCTANUX case so I took the board out, plus I'm getting some temps for the IC Diamond Test Thread:

[​IMG]
    phill, cadaveca and ChaoticAtmosphere say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Milton180

Thanks Received:
  25. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    No, but TRWOV is from Mexico...
    Crunching for Team TPU