1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your suggestions on a new mobo to replace the bad one

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Thlorian, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Thlorian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Several of you helped me on another thread of mine here last week (Many thanks again to each of you!). Basically I am a newbie to system builds and after an exhaustive ordeal of not getting my system to start up whatsoever (except for the green SB led on the mobo coming on), it has been determined that I ruined the mobo. :eek:

So I need a new one and I DO NOT want to ruin this one please so can someone please suggest an exact board brand/model for me and then provide me with a fool-proof step-by-step procedure to connect everything to it. The mobo I ruined was an ASUS M4A78T-E but I really don't want to pick that one up again unless you all really think it is an exceptionally great board for the money ($112)! My budget is between $100-$125. Here are the other parts I have sitting on the table soaking up space right now;

Athlon Phenom II X4 965 Deneb 3.4Ghz Black Edition CPU AM3 Quad core 45nm
    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 dual channel kit memory 4gb (2x2) PC3-10666 1333Mhz
    Cooler Master GX 750 watt ATX PSU
    Cooler Master Armor A90 mid-tower case w/120mm and 200mm fans
    MSI Radeon HD5750 1 GB PCI Video Card
    1.5 TB Seagate Hard Drive
    Sound Blaster SE PCI Sound card
    Logitech speaker System
  2. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Why not check these : GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P or GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3. These are cheap but good.

Out of curiosity, how did you ruin that Asus board?
    Thlorian says thanks.
  3. garyinhere

garyinhere

Thanks Received:
    static electricity is not your friend! Keep yourself grounded at all times!
    Thlorian says thanks.
  4. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Link to old thread: Help Please! Only green SB light on mobo comes o...

It was determined in the old thread that he shorted something on the mobo causing boot failure and ruining the board. Evidence supporting this is that he did run the mobo on the box and it still wouldn't start. (source)

Anyway, my position on the current topic is why get another board? Just do an RMA and get them to send you a new one free of charge. Sure it's dishonest, but it's the cheap way out and it's the way I'd do it...

To prevent issues with static I recommend two things. One is your ordinary anti-static wristband which you can pick up at any good computer store for $2. The second part is be careful with which parts of the hardware you fondle. Some chips are far more sensitive than others and the only safe way to handle hardware (until you get more experience) is to hold the various components by the edges of their PCB. (Kind of like how this person is holding a CD.)
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
    garyinhere says thanks.
  5. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Yeah considering that its new, just rma it, tell them it never worked, which it seems it never did. But make sure the mobo is really dead. If I were you, I'd go for another round with the build. If you aren't too familiar with building computers, just tune in to youtube and watch some guys build their amd systems, it would be a great start to see if you have done everything right as expected.
    Thlorian says thanks.
  6. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Thlorian says thanks.
  7. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    If it comes down to needing to buy a new one, I've been really happy with the Asus 785G EVO. It's a steal at $80.
    Thlorian says thanks.
  8. Thlorian New Member

Thanks Received:
    (1) Has Fry's quality gotten better on their boards? In the past I have been told that about 50% are returned because they are damaged and/or do not work.

(2) Except for the shorted out fiasco, I handle everything with the utmost care as if they are all eggs and only touched from the edges.

(3) Here is my game plan for the next board:

I am going to use an anti-static glove. Then place the board on the cardboard sheet it came with. I will then add the CPU and amd stock cooling fan that came with the cpu. Next I will attach one mem stick, followed by the monitor into the on-board monitor plugin. Then I will add a keyboard and mouse. Next, I will plug in two USB plugs from the case into the mobo. Lastly I will only plug in the four (or six prong) plug into the CPU port on the mobo as well as the 24 pin power plug. Then I will turn the power on. I should be able to get into the BIOS at this point correct? Is there anything I am missing? Should I check the mobo manual and try plugging in the small led, Reset SW, PWR, etc plugs? Or can I just leave them out for now?

Lastly, When I buy a board, if I post what I bought here, can any of you help me to get this thing going?

Thanks!
  9. Thlorian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks - Will these two boards work with this set-up:

Athlon Phenom II X4 965 Deneb 3.4Ghz Black Edition CPU AM3 Quad core 45nm
    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 dual channel kit memory 4gb (2x2) PC3-10666 1333Mhz
    Cooler Master GX 750 watt ATX PSU
    Cooler Master Armor A90 mid-tower case w/120mm and 200mm fans
    MSI Radeon HD5750 1 GB PCI Video Card
    1.5 TB Seagate Hard Drive
    Sound Blaster SE PCI Sound card
    Logitech speaker System