1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Your thoughts on the Switch 810

Discussion in 'NZXT' started by XNine, Apr 19, 2012.

1. XNine

XNine CaseLabs Rep

Thanks Received:
    Hey ladies and gents of TPU,

Just wondering, how many of you own this new chassis, and, what, in your views are the pros/cons of the chassis itself. Do you find it easy to build in? Mod? What are your thoughts?

2. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I don't have one, but I think it looks great, the only complaints I have heard is the SSD bracket doesn't allow you to plug in the connectors.
    [​IMG]

I really want to get one of these as my NZXT Tempest is starting to get old and the top fan is making noises.

TPU just did a review

The feed back so far on it.

3. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    ^^^^ that drive is mounted backwards

4. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Thats what I thought but they slide in from the back side of the case

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
  6. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    Thats has to be the worst design ever on a case that I can remember. what were they thinking with those drive bays? At least if they were going with that idea they should have thought of a better mounting for SSDs

7. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I really like the design of the drive bays so you don't have ugly cables showing it's just the bracket that needs to be adjusted

8. XNine

XNine CaseLabs Rep

Thanks Received:
    I have my SSD mounted in the 5.25 SATA bay, and not in the drive cages. The drive cages are actually really well laid out (though, I have heard complaints about the SSD mounting in them) for HDD's. The nice thing about it is you can either pull/install one HDD, or pull the whole drive cage assembly out if need be.

Other thoughts?

9. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    The design is great. At list i don't have to open the front panel to to change my hdd/ssd config.

10. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    I have one in white and it beats cases twice the price in features and modularity. I have owned Lian Li (while ago) and other high end makes, and while the Switch 810 isn't without its flaws, they are negligible at best.

I ordered a Switch 810 instead of a CaseLabs TH10, and while I will still be buying the latter, it won't be for a while. That is how impressed I am with the case.

(420mm rad top push/pull, 240/280mm rad bottom push/pull, 140mm rad rear push/pull... Only lose one drive bay.)

11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    for me the design and looks, that case looks pretty good
    but im not plastic tray fan:D

12. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    I just had the chance to open mine and wow! What a case! 9.5/10 in my opinion, although in its current state, banged up with bent panel, partly stripped screw, and cracked paint... It is a 5/10... I cannot imagine that the damage came from the factory, as I have NEVER seen a case where the thumbscrews were so tight they BENT the sheetmetal! I think that I either got an "unmarked refurb" from Newegg or they did a spectacularly sh*tty shipping job, although the former is much more likely. Newegg has refused to help me, because they didn't put the case on the packing slip so will not acknowledge that I have it! I am trying to get in touch with nzxt themselves, and I am hopeful as I have honestly heard they are legitimately the best company for customer service. I am betting on it, as if so, I will be ordering over a dozen of their individually Sleeved cable extensions, 6-8 or more of the new 140mm fans (2krpm), and a number of other items.

Only complaints about the case design itself, and they are nitpicky:
    - Almost no 420mm radiators will fit up top, with the only one I have heard of working being the SR1, and even then I don't know if it's limited to the low fpi one or if the 20-30fpi 30mm thick rads fit...
    - having to lose 3 drive bays for a second radiator (plus loss of a movable fan)
    - the location and amount of 5.25 bays means that I am really having a hard time figuring out how to fit and optical drive, reservoir/pump, and make up for the 3 lost bays below (the top bay is unusable with a top rad, so I am thinking that I will go with a Silverstone 5.25 bay device that fits one slim slot type ODD and 3-4 2.5" drives, and a single or dual bay res/pump like the EK/XSPC models... I would love a single bay, but they don't seem to be as well received... Or just find somewhere to stick a pump and Swiftech micro-res or mcp35x + pump-top res...)
    - as mentioned above, less space for storage devices than the competitors, with water cooling meaning that I will only have room for 3 3.5 drives and 1-4 2.5 drives... I didn't think about that, or rather, I was thinking I could cool a cpu/GPU loop with a single top-Mounted rad...

Again, nitpicky stuff. The only serious issue has been the damage that occurred at some point before landing on my doorstep. Hopefully that will be resolved, and I want to say that if you are thinking about getting this case, stop thinking and get it! It is beautiful and cavernous, and I don't for a second regret holding off on a Caselabs TH10 in order to get this!
    Thanks for reading :)

13. XNine

XNine CaseLabs Rep

Thanks Received:
    nleksan,

I had replied to you on OCN, did you see that post?

14. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    The very minor issue with SSDs aside, this might be the case of my dreams.

If you're going to water cool, you can put a 3x120 or 3x140 radiator inside the top, and likewise a 2-fan radiator on the bottom by removing a drive cage.

I've seen a white one in person, and it didn't seem overly huge like some cases do. And now that it will be available in matte black and gunmetal, it's perfect.

Now I just have to come up with an excuse to build another system. :eek:

15. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    There's no reason Newegg wouldn't cover the damage. You have a tracking number and you have an invoice. If they didn't put a packing slip, that's there problem. There are a plethora of means to receive due justice, whether it's through your bank, your credit card issuer, or PayPal.

16. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    that is for mounting 3.5Hdds not ssds, and it wouldnt last 2 seconds before id gheto modded it so they did fit:p

More than 25k PPD
  17. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    Xnine - I did see your post, thank you! I have gotten an rma number from Newegg but I am currently fighting with them to cover the shipping costs... :/

18. XNine

XNine CaseLabs Rep

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's a tough one. A LOT of companies will not cover the cost of return shipping no matter what the reason. Sorry to hear :(

19. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I don't know why you need to fight with them, it should be a 2 minute ordeal. Be persistent enough on live chat and they'll just give you the label to shut you up so they can move onto the next customer. If you're contacting them via email, you'll have a bad time.

20. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine will arrive next week! :)

21. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    I eagerly await pictures of your new beautiful case. :D

What color did you get? No, let it be a surprise. :laugh: